DIY logging winch build

/ DIY logging winch build #2  
So after many calculations and discussions about parts I have a plan.
If you are interested I have the build thread here :http://www.arboristsite.com/community/threads/log-skidding-winch-diy.313665/
Thank you for the input and hopefully I can get this done in the near future as I'm hoping to skid some logs as soon as the leaves are gone.

Holy smokes, your making it from scratch. I had an old pto chain drive winch you could've had that was a bad boy. Wouldn't been easy to adapt for your pto and saved a ton of time

Keep it up. Looking forward to seeing how it goes

Brett

/ DIY logging winch build
Small update. I ended up having a local machinist take a piece of 2.5" solid round bar 8 3/8" long and run a 1 1/8" hole through it then bore it to 1.25" diameter in about 1" on each end to accept the bearings. It was almost a wash money wise to pay him than to buy the DOM , the type x hub adapters and weld it all together then machine in a couple of internal snap ring grooves. It's all done in one strong package now and saved me two welds.
UkYJTz9l.jpg

TK7YCqQl.jpg

1H1ReMpl.jpg

Built a makeshift positioner to weld it up
RdPYlAHl.jpg

wFGEOFPl.jpg

ASwugOFl.jpg

/ DIY logging winch build #5  
Small update. I ended up having a local machinist take a piece of 2.5" solid round bar 8 3/8" long and run a 1 1/8" hole through it then bore it to 1.25" diameter in about 1" on each end to accept the bearings. It was almost a wash money wise to pay him than to buy the DOM , the type x hub adapters and weld it all together then machine in a couple of internal snap ring grooves. It's all done in one strong package now and saved me two welds.
UkYJTz9l.jpg

TK7YCqQl.jpg

1H1ReMpl.jpg

Built a makeshift positioner to weld it up
RdPYlAHl.jpg

wFGEOFPl.jpg

ASwugOFl.jpg
That's some big bolts for those rollers. What are they from??

/ DIY logging winch build #6  
One good thing with a 3-point winch is it keeps tractors from flipping over when pulling logs, stuck vehicles, especially the older tractors without ROPS.........But to make/build a fully functional pto winch will require some/lot of skill with the RIGHT tooling accessibility. An average pto winch will run around $4k+or-. So will be interesting to see how you do on cost of materials, not counting labor, that can be hard to figure in, for me lot of time is spent on planning, so I figure the time in after, than I know how long it takes after the learning curve is straightened out and that would be the more realistic cost of a build.

If you can build a winch to do this, I'll give you 5 stars>>>> Big Hemlock log pt.3 - YouTube

One good thing with a 3-point winch is it keeps tractors from flipping over when pulling logs, stuck vehicles, especially the older tractors without ROPS.........But to make/build a fully functional pto winch will require some/lot of skill with the RIGHT tooling accessibility. An average pto winch will run around $4k+or-. So will be interesting to see how you do on cost of materials, not counting labor, that can be hard to figure in, for me lot of time is spent on planning, so I figure the time in after, than I know how long it takes after the learning curve is straightened out and that would be the more realistic cost of a build.

If you can build a winch to do this, I'll give you 5 stars>>>> Big Hemlock log pt.3 - YouTube

That doesn't look to be that big of a tree, I think I should be able to pull it on flat ground. We'll see.
As for cost of material, so far I am into it for two hundred fifty bucks, that's with the shaft turned, bearings are on the way from McMaster Carr, 60 tooth sprocket from surplus supply, a few tidbits and the stuff I pictured from TSC. Right now I have about two hours into it. I have a bet with my buddy that I can build it for under 300, I know I can't but I bet it won't be much more.

The bearings have a 5/8" ID so I used 5/8 bolts. They are intended to go on the inside of the turret of my log crane if I ever get back to that project!

I received the needle bearings today :) That's great service, I ordered them on Sunday evening and got them today :) Now I need some help, I don't know how hard they are supposed to go into the drum. I had it machined to 1.25 which is what the bearings measure. I just hate to ruin them. ( I ordered two extra though ) I know they shouldn't just slide in but I don't know how hard they are supposed to be pressed in.
4FgWFaFl.jpg

/ DIY logging winch build #10  
What kind of needle bearings are they? The ones with the thin drawn cup aren't super critical as to hole size. If they have a thick ground outer race the hole size has to be spot on, like a ball bearing. 1.25 isn't an accurate enough measurement to know if they'll go in. Does that mean 1.2500?

With bearings you pretty much need to know the exact hole size to know if they'll go in. If you get it part way in and get it stuck you have a problem.

Retired machinist here.