What to do with a Kawasaki 16hp V twin garden tractor engine???

/ What to do with a Kawasaki 16hp V twin garden tractor engine??? #1  

dragoneggs

Super Star Member
Tractor
Kubota BX-25D, Kubota Z122RKW-42
I have a 25+ year old garden tractor and I am considering selling it or at least salvage the engine and make something with it. I have a Z turn so it will just be sitting now that I am selling my rental house.

Any cool suggestions?

/ What to do with a Kawasaki 16hp V twin garden tractor engine??? #2  
Horizontal shaft you have some options. Vertical shaft probably better to sell the mower. Is it air cooled?

/ What to do with a Kawasaki 16hp V twin garden tractor engine???
I will have to get back to you on that... it is 75 miles away at my rental property. Hang on...

/ What to do with a Kawasaki 16hp V twin garden tractor engine??? #4  
Is that in your 1990 John Deere? What are the model numbers?

/ What to do with a Kawasaki 16hp V twin garden tractor engine??? #5  
I actually need one for a TORO lawn mower hahaha

/ What to do with a Kawasaki 16hp V twin garden tractor engine??? #6  
I have a 19.5 HP out of an old Craftsman that I had visions of mounting onto a deck from a MMM and turn it into an offset tow behind so I could double my mowing speed. Will probably never get around to it though and have no idea if I could actually get it to work.

Have a look at the different attachments that you can get that tow behind an ATV for some ideas, because those don't have a PTO and so they need an engine. Things like a tow behind tiller or rough-cut mower, etc.

Well the subject question just got a lot easier. Sort of... Turns out that it is NOT a 16hp Kawasaki but a Briggs & Stratton JD LTR166.

TractorData.com John Deere LTR166 tractor information

Haven't taken a look at it for about 10 years while it was doing light duty by my tenant at a rental house. Now selling the property and figuring out what to do with this set up. I think it is clear now. I will clean it up, oil and filters, a few other small adjustments and sell it.

IMG_9765.JPG

It is a nice setup for a yard with lots of things to maneuver around. This comes with the optional rear discharge and clamshell chute which is great! You can dump without leaving your seat! :thumbsup: Also great because you have both left and right sides that you can mow against a wall. Lastly a small dump trailer with a top pivoting tailgate can come along for the ride!

Only problem I have found since doing a quick mow and hauling it home, is an intermittent key start. Very finicky... maybe a safety switch in the brake pedal? Not sure yet. Cosmetically, no issues except for the cowling hood hinges (plastic) are both broken at the pivot but the hood rests properly without it being attached. So a minor fixer up project.

Shockingly, I found it to be in good working order otherwise. Never expected it to run well and look good! It had been so long since I drove it, I couldn't get used to the peddles... :pullinghair:was trying to drive it like my BX (muscle memory). Wow... what a difference in machine too! :cool2:

Time to find it a good home!

/ What to do with a Kawasaki 16hp V twin garden tractor engine??? #9  
What is the big chunk of plastic above the mower deck for?

I agree, sell it!

Last edited:
A little update... senility is catching up with me. Holy, Moly... turns out I was way off on engine and age of machine... not a 1990. This is a year 2000... and I bought this new! Haven't touched in 10 years as I left it at my old property when I turned it into a rental.

Did a full tune up, replaced all fluids, filters, air, fuel, oil, replaced the front plastic bumper which was cracked, and now the hood articulates like new. After a fair amount of electrical diagnostics I convinced myself the starter solenoid was bad and not a dang safety switch. Well one of the safety switches (brake) is bad but that is a simple unplug. New solenoid, and it starts first key click!!! Everything else is in good condition and clean after a crude detailing job.

Now the thing runs and rides beautifully and still has low hours on it for an 18 year old machine. Don't know how many but only had to mow a half acre of decently manicured lawn. I have fallen back in love with it and although I don't really need it with my zero turn, I won't part it out. It's gonna make a good addition to a new home if my heart will part with it. In the meantime I am going to compare performance on steep slopes vs. my zero turn. First I have to wait for some dry grass (3 months?).