Reinforced shed ramp

/ Reinforced shed ramp #1  

Garandman

Elite Member
Tractor
Kubota L3200 HST
Bought a shed with 12 joist spacing and double plywood floors so I could put heavy implements in it, and possibly wheel the tractor in (won稚 be stored there). So the builder provided a 6遅6 ramp made up of 1x6 pressure treated wood. When I told them 渡o way they proposed blocking it in the middle, which would probably have resulted in 4 pieces instead of 2. My smaller shed in Boston has full dimension 2x6痴. They are taking it back.

2C686D88-C101-42C7-BA66-46F0EBF674B8-L.jpg

Now I知 thinking of going to 8? But I知 wondering what we壇 have to do to make it strong enough to run the L3200 up. I believe the tractor with FEL and filled tires is about 3,000 lbs.

Was thinking of putting rectangular steel tubing or U channel underneath two of the planks on the wheel centerline.

/ Reinforced shed ramp #2  
For a 6/ long ramp I would want 2x10s and then double thick, and then support in the center. Would it work to make a ramp of gravel or dirt or would that mess up the look you are going for??

/ Reinforced shed ramp
Great idea. The contractor is coming back to put down Blue stone. I’ll ask him if he can grade it up a bit.

Would you use pressure treated, or regular wood painted? We painted our ramp here to get better traction, and the extra texture paints give good grip.

/ Reinforced shed ramp #4  
Great idea. The contractor is coming back to put down Blue stone. I’ll ask him if he can grade it up a bit.

Would you use pressure treated, or regular wood painted? We painted our ramp here to get better traction, and the extra texture paints give good grip.

I would used pressure treated wood and if you want to paint it wait a few months so it gets very dry first. I would probably sprinkle some silica sand (fine) on the paint before it dries to get a non slippery surface if that is needed.

/ Reinforced shed ramp #5  
Why use wood? If it was mine, I would either build it up with dirt, or gravel, and never worry about it again. Wood will probably last quite awhile, but it's slippery and dangerous.

/ Reinforced shed ramp #6  
I did a similar PT ramp out an 8' x 8' side garage door dedicated for the tractor. I use 2x10s and made a "diagonal" cut for the slope starting off the tops. So one end is the full width and the other is whatever is left based on the slope. For the 8' entrance I used 5 supports. I then screwed the diagonal pieces centered on a PT 2x6 which is sitting on the ground, basically forms an inverted "T". The 5 supports were then spaced accordingly and a 2x10 screwed to the tall ends to be mounted to the building. I screwed a 2 x 4 to the front ends to basically secure the assembly. I then drilled anchor holes into the foundation to mount the assembly to. I used 2 x 6 boards for the decking.

The key is to get the ramp area graded (height) for the assembly to sit tight to the building. Once graded I ran the tractor back and forth to compact the area before securing it to the building. The nice thing is all the weight is just on the ground. I didn't take any pictures when I built it but hopefully you get the idea.

/ Reinforced shed ramp #7  
I would use whatever fill was available (gravel if you have it) to grade a ramp, stopping a little shallow, packed with the tractor.

Put a 6' 2x4 across the top and bottom ends, and 8' along the sides. Put in remesh or #4 rebar on bricks. Oil the boards, pour "plain regular strength" 3000 lb concrete (truck is easiest but getting 2/3 of a yard could be an issue unless you get some from one of those batch mix trucks, mixer is do-able but it's a long day mixing about 30 80 lb. bags). Screed (screed as you go if using a mixer, because it kicks off pretty quick). Broom, run the edges with an edger or trowel. It's not a full and proper concrete finish, but it will be enough to get you in and out of the shed.

Then pull the forms, move them to the end and do it again to give you a flat spot for maintenance. Having a hard spot to work on that you can use jacks and not loose fasteners in the grass and dirt is well worth it.

/ Reinforced shed ramp #8  
Why use wood? If it was mine, I would either build it up with dirt, or gravel, and never worry about it again. Wood will probably last quite awhile, but it's slippery and dangerous.

Agreed. A nice mildewed wet piece of wood is just about as good as an ice skating rink.

/ Reinforced shed ramp #10  
I'd build up a ramp with gravel and 6x6 timbers. Could even pour a concrete slab on top.