Doodlebug time!

/ Doodlebug time! #1  

Cord

Veteran Member
Tractor
Resident Architect
Ok, I don't need this project, but I kinda fell into it. You see, I saw a K20 Cletrac for sale on Craigslist and I wanted to look at it. The price was right and the tractor was mostly complete so I bought the tractor. The problem is that the seller was a hoarder and some of his stuff is really cool. He's a really nice guy and he's willing to sell so that's bad for me. Let's just say that he's being screened for American Pickers right now. Yea, it's that bad.

Anyways, he had this '34 Dodge Doodlebug and I just had to have it. The cool thing is that FOR HIS ASKING PRICE, I got him to throw in a 341 Hemi and NP345 transmission. I'm paying $50 for a second set of rims so I can run duals (5 bolt 20" rims are stupid hard to find). I don't know just which NP435 trans I have, but it'll be either a 4.56/2.28/1.31/1.0 or a 6.68/3.34/1.66/1.0. With the 6.67 rear gears in the 1941 Ford 1.5 ton axle, 35" tires and 3,500 rpm I would then get 12/24/42/55mph or 8/16/33/55mph. The problem is that I'm going to use this Doodlebug at a local thresheree for plowing and those speeds are too fast. I think what I need to do is a run a second 435 transmission and use that trans as a 4 speed ranger. This would give me 30:1 gears in low-1 for a max speed of 2 mph. That feels a bit more tractor like.

I find find a bunch of threads of the rock crawler guys doing this, but no pictures. I was wondering if any guys on this forum had tried something similar?

Attachments

• 2017-10-08 14.30.16.jpg
    2017-10-08 14.30.16.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 1,004
  • 2017-10-08 15.57.26.jpg
    2017-10-08 15.57.26.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 707
   / Doodlebug time! #2  
Pretty cool, I want to see pics of the cletrac too :)
What are you going to put the Hemi in?

/ Doodlebug time!
Attached as requested. Motor is loose and he said he drove into it's parking space.

The hemi and trans will go into the Doodlebug.

Attachments

• 2017-10-08 14.56.42.jpg
    2017-10-08 14.56.42.jpg
    3.6 MB · Views: 775
   / Doodlebug time! #5  
I used to have a 1970 Ford Boom Truck that I contract hauled concrete block and building materials with back in the low 70's.
The truck had a 225 Cat engine with a 5 spd main trans and a 4 spd auxiliary trans.
The 4 spd was 1-2-3 and OD (no reverse). It had 2 gear shifts. Once I got the hang of it, it was fun to drive.
You basically drove it like a 5 spd but you had over/under gears. It never bogged down!
It had the 5 spd on the engine and a short driveshaft to the aux trans then drive shaft to the rearends.
When in low, low it would just crawl along with the engine tach-ed out.
If you have the room for 2 transmissions it will work.

/ Doodlebug time! #7  
When I was a kid, we had a 1955 Plymouth with a 6cyl and a 3 on the tree. It was all rusted out, so I tore the body off it - kept the fire wall and front seat. For a 15 year old kid, it was a blast to drive in the fields. It was so light it shot rooster tails up from the spinning rear wheels! I think I saw your doodlebug on Craigslist, but there is no way I could get the boss to approve! You will have fun. Plowing is all well and good, but do throw up some rooster tails.

/ Doodlebug time! #8  
Neat! Must be a tight fit cramming the Hemi in there?
I like the old dozer :)

/ Doodlebug time! #9  
Ahhhh yes memories,make it two setter little dump body for the back you'll have more fun than barrel of monkeys.

/ Doodlebug time! #10  
My first "real" job was working for a farmer on a produce "picker" made from an old school bus, it had 3 transmissions. They were held together with flanges and deliberately loose bolts since the concentricity wasn't very good, and the 2nd and 3rd transmission would "rock" some. Every so often a bolt would shear or a flange would need welding up to a smaller hole. Power was a 16hp wisconsin double-belted to the original engine crank pulley.

I guess my point is, as long as you aren't trying to run all the power from that hemi though the system, it is surprisingly non-critical how these things are strung together if you allow things to align themselves as they work.

If you have the length to work with, I think I'd be tempted to find a proper U-joint yoke that fits on your input shaft of whatever your 2nd trans is.