Pit Cart Project Started

/ Pit Cart Project Started #1  

Waldon52

Platinum Member
Tractor
John Deere
For many years I have wanted a Pit Cart type portable workbench I could move from the workshop to the front garage or to the rear shed or to the backyard and have all my tools with me. Even my welders and plasma cutter, grinders and hand held band saw. I have 40 feet of 220V extension cord and 40 feet of 110V extension cord . It will also have 12 outlets for easy plug in tools. Yesterday I mounted a old vise and one of my drill presses to a old metal table I had not used in 3 years. Today I mounted the Lincoln welder and a tool box to the bottom shelf. Also a small wire welder to the back of the cart. I also layed out the width of the axles for the 8 tires it will ride on. This cart will pass through my narrow shop doors being pulled by hand and then it will have a hitch for my garden tractor to pull it anywhere in the yard . Tomorrow I will design the support for the front mounted plasma cutter. I'll keep you posted as I make more progress on it. I am very excited to build this . I have spent hours walking back and forth getting tools for dozens of projects. The duel wheels will make this heavy load much more stable when pulling it in the back yard on soft ground. It will be so handy to have all my tools so close wherever I am working. pitcart.jpg

/ Pit Cart Project Started #2  
I know how you feel about walking back and forth ! A couple of suggestions:

Use a Reelcraft hose reel for your electrics and keep them low. (maybe even an air line reel). This is to keep it from tipping over. I'd worry that it could get top heavy and make a mess or worse.

Lockable drawer to prevent low use tools from walking away. I also like lockable 4 corner casters because I can never get my cart into that perfect position. That conflicts with towing, but there are 'ways'. Battery powered tools work best for me because cords and hoses come at me and wrap themselves around my legs. I need extra battery chargers and batteries on board for making that 1, single final cut that always is needed and the battery went T/U.

Beverage holder and fire extinguisher became necessary for me after a repair job on my baler in the field. Chaff caught on fire while I was under the hood. Ooops.

I'm sure there a few more suggestions coming, make provisions for dual axles and heavy duty springs to accommodate all of them !

/ Pit Cart Project Started #3  
Man, you're definitely gonna enjoy "more workie less walkie" with that, it'll be interesting to see how far it goes -

I'd considered something similar with a "freebie" steel table, 3'x5', heavy angle frame and 3/8" steel top - I was gonna put a 3PH on one side, got QH's on both small tractors. But before THAT happened, the freebie "morphed" into something else :rolleyes:

http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/welding/386590-welding-table-build-6.html#post4889466

Still really useful to me, but now I'll hafta start over with the mobile work table idea... Steve

/ Pit Cart Project Started
I will be careful not to put anything else above the table because being top heavy could be a real problem on uneven ground with that narrow wheelbase. The cords are a pain but I am going to try a couple ideas to keep it all looking clean without all the cords and cables everywhere when not being used . Beverage holder and fire extinquisher a must. I bought a nice little compact Milwaulkee radio yesterday for it too. Mostly I'm organizing everything I already had on one cart. Everything in my shop is already on small wheels , so this is just a fun project . It may rarely leave the workshop . But the days I work in the back yard on something big that wont fit in the garage or shop it will be great. I also have 40 ft of air hose for the plasma cutter. I have the air retractable reels and the electric retractable reels in my workshop now. They are very handy. I already put one on this by the drill press. Very excited about this little project.

Today I cut out the first wheel radius and the first panel section for the lower storage area. Also worked on the two end shelves that will support the plasma cutter and the handheld bandsaw. Tomorrow I'll work on the other back corner and second rear fender panel. I am very excited even at the early stages to have everything so handy. It will be rare it leaves the shop or the front garage. But if it does then it will be pulled with the garden tractor. pitcart fender.jpg

Todays welding cart progress I made a few brackets to hang sanders, nibblers and 2 air drills on the rear. I also finished up some upside down welding and boxes in the lower center axle opening. Finished securing the center welder and the tool box to the main frame. A little red paint and it almost looks like it all belongs together. I'm already enjoying the 12 new outlets with 6 on each end. The front design will include brackets for a few more hanging tools. The rear will be set up so all the electric cords and air hoses are nice and neat. Very fun little project.Painted rear pit cart.jpg

/ Pit Cart Project Started #7  
Nicely thought out. Your Lincoln buzz box and Craftman tool box blend right in. ? though- how do you keep your drawers on the tool box from opening. Or is that not a worry. Normally the lid is closed to keep them shut.

Either way it looks great. :thumbsup:

Thanks, I'll attach a stopper for the toolbox drawers if it leaves the workshop . Today I cut out the parts for the front axle assembly. I also built the matching faceplates it will all pivot on. I welded the lower pin to the axle . The upper tube has the faceplace now welded on it for smooth steering . Next I will extend the front of the cart and attach the front pivot tube with plenty of support . This fifth wheel hitch type design was easy and inexpensive. I went this route because of the duel wheels or I would have built the traditional spindle and tie rod setup.steering.jpg

/ Pit Cart Project Started #10  
Do you ever think you're going to want it road worthy? Meaning towing with truck or whatever down the road. Toolbox on wheels, neighbors might be calling you up?