Is there any issue with significantly extending the length of exhaust tubing?

/ Is there any issue with significantly extending the length of exhaust tubing? #1  

4570Man

Super Star Member
Tractor
Kubota M59, Kubota L3800, Grasshopper 428D, Topkick dump truck, 3500 dump truck, 10 ton trailer, more lighter trailers.
I've got a 15 hp Honda knockoff motor on my wood splitter. With cold temperatures quickly approaching the comfort of working indoors would be nice. I intend on removing the the muffler and making a new manifold, add some flexible tubing to prevent breaking something, and adding like 15 feet of pipe to vent outside. Does anyone see any problem with this?

/ Is there any issue with significantly extending the length of exhaust tubing? #2  
I dont see any problem as long as the pipe isnt too small.

/ Is there any issue with significantly extending the length of exhaust tubing? #3  
Or just get a small garage type exhaust hose and slip on connector with an exhaust port in the wall or door

/ Is there any issue with significantly extending the length of exhaust tubing? #4  
I dont see any problem and have done similar in the past.

A few bucks spend on a carbon monoxide sensor would be good insurance

/ Is there any issue with significantly extending the length of exhaust tubing? #5  
With this setup you are easily going to have enough heat in your shop. I'd be tempted to set up a small computer fan blowing fresh air into the shop while you are working. It's really hard to seal everything up well enough so that there is no exhaust in the shop and it's an extra safety to make sure that you are getting fresh air at all times.

/ Is there any issue with significantly extending the length of exhaust tubing? #6  
Its all about backpressure. It will kill turbos. (Which your Honda doesnt have)

/ Is there any issue with significantly extending the length of exhaust tubing? #7  
I am wondering why you are going to remove the muffler. Seems like a little bit quieter wouldn't hurt, although it ought to be a low backpressure exhaust.
David from jax

/ Is there any issue with significantly extending the length of exhaust tubing?
I figured it would be easier to make an airtight seal without the muffler. I also figured the inside noise levels would be about the same since the exhaust discharge is outside.

/ Is there any issue with significantly extending the length of exhaust tubing? #9  
Keep the muffler. Do what we did in the military and just run a larger piece of flex tubing from the muffler to the outside. You can even use aluminum dryer outlet duct in a pinch. Use some fiberglass muffler bandage and you have a good enough seal.

In this case the engine sees no difference between inside and outside, the duct work should be large enough to eliminate any extra back pressure or just add a little fan to the outlet to pull exhaust out.

Done this in may places around the globe. When you need to pull outdoors it takes only a minute to detach and run for it.

/ Is there any issue with significantly extending the length of exhaust tubing? #10  
If you can find a inline duct fan with a high enough CFM you could set it up with a hose that would butt up against the muffler and draw the exhaust out, also as long as it draws more air than the exhaust puts out it will draw room air into the pipe also cooling the hot exhaust air. Also need a fresh air inlet into the room, and as LD1 said a CO monitor for safety measures.