Grapple project OPEN SOURCE

/ Grapple project OPEN SOURCE #1  

polemidis

Gold Member
Tractor
LS XG3140
Hello to the community. I just bought a tractor last week, and I am so excited! I quick realized the need for a grapple. I have 60ac of forest that need heavy thinning and I also need it for loading the firewood.
My apologies to my ignorance, my experience with tractors is only 1 week. Thats the first reason I am reaching to to you guys, because I need your input, feedback and critisism.
The 2nd and MOST important reason is that I am willing to offer my time in order to develop Open Source designs for the public benefit. I cannot afford to pay $1800 for a new grapple, and I bet there are so many with that "limitation" out there. I tried to buy some plans for my own use but noone was willing to sell me any plans or provide any help, so I spent a few hours today prototyping. Hopefully in a few weeks (months?) everybody can make his own grapple keeping the cost 3x below the commercial models. Later on we can start other tools also. Wouldn't be cool to have a repository of Open Source Implements??

Anyway, one step at a time, this is the result so far. Later on I will add a link of the CAD file for anyone that wishes to contribute, until then if anyone wants it plz PM me to sent it to you.

Wish me luck, and feel free to comment if you have anything useful to say. The idea is that anyone can take the plans for FREE and build its own tool. By letting the plans open source hopefully soon we can improve the design by a lot!

Screenshot from 2017-10-25 18-43-39.png

/ Grapple project OPEN SOURCE #2  
Welcome to TBN.

I think you should spend many, many hours perusing this website concerning Grapple construction. Then post a more substantial "blueprint" of your ideas and ask for suggestions. With what you posted I have no suggestions. Sorry.....

/ Grapple project OPEN SOURCE #3  
At least a few members have created build posts. A repository would be handy.

/ Grapple project OPEN SOURCE #4  
There may be a possible conflict of interest here...considering this site is primarily funded by vendors that sell grapples and other implements that can often be fabricated by DIY'ers...

In the same respect the welding vendors wouldn't mind though...:D

I'm all for open source and sharing source code...but there are guidelines

/ Grapple project OPEN SOURCE #6  

It was 6-7 years ago that the TBN administration started to build a library of sorts of some of the more popular documented implement build threads...not sure whatever happened to it...

/ Grapple project OPEN SOURCE #7  
Something about this doesn't smell right.

/ Grapple project OPEN SOURCE
You mean like another "inventor" who wants others to do the work for him?
I am not any "inventor" and I did not asked for anyone to do work for me.
Something about this doesn't smell right.
Plz be open and state clear your negativity Sir.

Welcome to TBN.

I think you should spend many, many hours perusing this website concerning Grapple construction. Then post a more substantial "blueprint" of your ideas and ask for suggestions. With what you posted I have no suggestions. Sorry.....
Thank you! I will not ask any specific questions until I finish my research. You are absolutely right.

I found only one from Anty1969 but he is not willing to help -respected-. I din't find anything else, I will do a more thourogh search. Thank you!
EDIT: I just found out the "search" button in the forums. Oh God, there are quite a few of builds! Thanx!!!!

My plan is not to compete with the commercial producers, but if you find that this post is causing problems with the vendors that fund this forums I can stop posting.

Anyway, so after some thought my revised plan is to create something simpler, avoiding the need for a CNC machine. I believe this will keep the cost at minimum. So instead of the nice curved tines, I would prefer to use flat bar. Yes the implement will not be as strong without increasing the weight. But, my compact tractor can lift 1800lbs at pivot point. Minus +-500lbs the grapple, there is a 1300lbs left of lifting capacity. Brush/twigs/or even a firewood load will not be that heavy. If I can save $200 on CNC labor, and cut the steel with a handheld plasma I opt for that. So I will post a new complete design in a few days.

Thank you all for your comments (yes, even the negative ones :) :)

Last edited:
   / Grapple project OPEN SOURCE #10  
Once you run the bill of materials to build a commercial quality product you'll find that doing it it strictly for cost savings doesn't make a lot of sense. Pins, cylinders, hoses, couplers, steel, welding wire, gas, plasma tips, etc all add up. OEMs get volume discount on materials that the general public can't replicate. Don't get me wrong, I'm all for building stuff but it usually works out cheap(er) because I use scrap materials, used or surplus cylinders, etc. Plus I can tailor the design exactly to my needs be it lighter, wider, stronger, etc than commercially available tools. With an "open source" design or a few similar designs you make compromises to satisfy differing requirements which drive the cost back up.

I wish you good luck with your venture.