Boom sprayer retrofitted to add a fence line sprayer

/ Boom sprayer retrofitted to add a fence line sprayer #1  

Tonyinohio

Silver Member
Tractor
Yanmar 424
I'm rebuilding a 55 gallon, 10' wide, pto driven boom sprayer. While adding all new plumbing I'm considering adding a second independent boom on the passenger side with a single nozzle to spray sterilent/Glyphosate along fencelines. I will be able to raise either boom up and out of the way independently plus control each boom with 12vdc solenoid valves.

We're in the process of ramping up a small cattle and perennial garden operation in the spring so I'm looking to maximize any labor saving implements.

We currently use back pack sprayers with good success but with the new gardening business and fencing we'll be in need of regularly spraying various herbicides. I have a good understanding of various herbicides, am licensed and know the process of triple rinsing between chemicals.

Looking for the pros and cons of this idea, has anyone tried this? Seems like a natural fit.

/ Boom sprayer retrofitted to add a fence line sprayer #2  
You should be able to do that. I have same size setup with hand wand on it and I use a simple garden hose "Y" hose connector and just make the switch to which I want to use. Hand wand is mostly used for about what you want to do but only not straight fences rather around shrubs and beds in lawn. If you want fixed nozzle just do good job looking at nozzles options to find one that will spray the distance and angle you need.

/ Boom sprayer retrofitted to add a fence line sprayer #3  
I use a hand wand w/adj noozle in fence rows. Your single boom will work but imo not as universal as a wand.

/ Boom sprayer retrofitted to add a fence line sprayer #4  
I concur with others you will like the wand better and have more control . I have done what your suggesting and it will work but drift is a major issue when doing fences

/ Boom sprayer retrofitted to add a fence line sprayer
I bought a boom extender nozzle and added it to the the support for the booms on my spray rig.

Hypro's Boom X Tender - YouTube

Thats exactly the spray pattern i was looking for. I have a handheld wand on the rig but its short so drift from the tractor seat was my concern. This puts it low and contained. Thank you