Container Weld Shop build -

/ Container Weld Shop build -
As usual, took a bit longer than my "wishful thinking" estimates, but the tank hold-down's done - next comes putting the casters/wheels on and setting it down on the floor - then the "hand truck handle/gauge protector", torch holster, lead hangers, hitch tongue, pick point, drawer(s), paint.... Steve

Attachments

• DSCN2956.JPG
    DSCN2956.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 80
  • DSCN2957.JPG
    DSCN2957.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 85
  • DSCN2958.JPG
    DSCN2958.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 94
Today's progress...

Got a little further today, now I just need to thaw my FEET :thumbdown: - 'sposed to warm up and rain Friday, I'll take it :cool2:

Wheels on (for now), caster sockets welded on, tank still fits (yay), welder side door clears the 1" angle, even WITHOUT the EPDM on the rails - the addition of a "hand truck handle" on the front will ALSO act as a guard for the regulator - and since the tank is FIRMLY locked in place, that should work pretty good.

Kinda had to rearrange things in the garage in order to get BOTH the MM252 and the MM211 inside under lock and key (and dobermans, and 12 gauges, etc :rolleyes:)

Once it warms up I can take all the stuff BACK off it and paint. Everything's been flash rusting so quick due to the cold/condensation, I'll likely need to wire brush everything, AGAIN :mad:

Anyway, here's sorta what it'll look like (minus the shabby chic camouflage un-paint job, that is :laughing: )...Steve

Attachments

• DSCN2959.JPG
    DSCN2959.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 98
  • DSCN2960.JPG
    DSCN2960.JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 118
  • DSCN2961.JPG
    DSCN2961.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 92
  • DSCN2962.JPG
    DSCN2962.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 85
  • DSCN2963.JPG
    DSCN2963.JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 87
   / Container Weld Shop build - #63  
Dang it, Steve/Terry... catching up on this thread tonight and I'm suddenly realizing I hate my droopy chain around my tank. And this will likely get priority over other 'what I thought' important projects. Dang it, dang it, dang it! :mad:

If I wasn't prepping for a colonoscopy, I would be in the cold shop tonight finding the stuff to slap something together. It's too far of a butt squeezing run if you know what I mean. :eek:

/ Container Weld Shop build - #64  
Steve:IMG_0958.JPG

Mark: Good luck with your exam!

/ Container Weld Shop build - #65  
Re: Today's progress...

By the looks of the 3rd picture, you push down on the caster brakes, take the gas line and band off then slide tank off the back and throw it on you shoulder and carry it out to the pickup to get it refilled, or are you going to put a strap around it, use a crane?

"throw it on you shoulder and carry it out to the pickup to get it refilled, or are you going to put a strap around it, use a crane? "

You're right about the way the tank will get loaded/unloaded from the cart, but...

The more swear words my BACK learns as I get older, the more I'm leanin' toward making a pair of "miniature ice tongs" that'll catch the 2 slotted holes in the tank cap - I've got the "mini-jib" up at the house, just bought one of the HF "1-ton gantry cranes" (it's still in the box, short term it'll straddle the big weld table to fill in where the mini-jib can't quite reach - later, it'll get a longer I beam and be my "helper" workin' on the hoe) and I'll have the container crane down behind the shop, there's also a small 1300 lb. hoist in the OTHER shop - so when I get the "mini-tongs" made I'll make a place on the cart for them AND the tank cap. That way, anywhere I might wanna use the welder there's a lift (that ain't ME :thumbsup: )

Once the tank's free, there's always other hand trucks around - and that smaller 150 cf tank isn't as ornery as the bigger ones on the MM252...

Got three of the pieces for the carts "hand truck handle" cut out this afternoon, same size tubing (1-1/2") as the frame, then I cut 2 8" pieces of 1-1/4" to slip inside the existing verticals - half in the lower part, half in the upper; drill a couple holes in lower and upper tubing for plug welds, when I get done it'll look like one continuous piece. 1/4" FB "ears" get welded onto the uprights and drilled for pins that'll hold the cross-piece in place - that way I can do a "floating sleeve" on that crossbar for load balancing when I do the pick point.

It's nice getting far enough along to see what it'll look like... Steve

Got a bit more done today; extended the two "hand truck" uprights to finished length as explained in previous post. Pics show my way of making sure the extensions are straight with the original pieces, worked fine - sure glad I'm not too short on clamps :rolleyes:

all the clamps stayed on til I did all the plug welds (4 per extension) - then I took 'em off, vee-d the joint slightly and welded the outer joints closed.

Might do a little more "patch and blend" manana, but probably just call it good; need to keep moving on this, still have a "porch roof" to fab and fly up over the doors of the container before I get going on the crane... Steve

Attachments

• DSCN2964.JPG
    DSCN2964.JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 84
  • DSCN2965.JPG
    DSCN2965.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 82
  • DSCN2966.JPG
    DSCN2966.JPG
  • DSCN2967.JPG
    DSCN2967.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 77
  • DSCN2968.JPG
    DSCN2968.JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 89
  • DSCN2969.JPG
    DSCN2969.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 75
  • DSCN2970.JPG
    DSCN2970.JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 87
  • DSCN2971.JPG
    DSCN2971.JPG
   / Container Weld Shop build - #68  
Might do a little more "patch and blend" manana, but probably just call it good; need to keep moving on this, still have a "porch roof" to fab and fly up over the doors of the container before I get going on the crane... Steve

On that last picture, looks like a little more blending is needed, I can still see the weld line on the handle, it's probably keeping you up at night, I know cause those weld lines are hard to get rid of.

You actually making that roof out of place then put it up on the container? no wonder your back hurts, I alway make roofs in place. How ever you do it gotta get get that roof done so we can start this crane build, be awful to run out of welding gas and no easy way to get it on your pickup. Seems like everytime I'm in my shop I could use a crane in several places, one crane is not enough.

My back used to hurt for 5 years everyday, chiropractors every week, wait inline, got old faster than I did, then tried this Omron electronic back massage 2 weeks straight, didn.t feel much better so stop using it, then after about three days all of sudden my back wasn't hurting so bad, after a week of non use of Omron, my back was a lot better, no more waiting in line at the chiropractor's office. I think there several brands>>> Amazon.com: Omron electroTHERAPY Pain Relief Device PM3:(: Health & Personal Care

"looks like a little more blending is needed" - yup, I did all that vertical; shoulda turned the feed down even more, didn't notice things sagging til I started blending. Still thinkin' it'll get re-done, just got antsy and started cutting out the parts for the pick point/"roll cage" (not really, but it'll LOOK like one :laughing:)

Stuck a piece of small square tube on the saddle of the floor jack, moved it back and forth and left/right and found the center of gravity - it's maybe an inch off dead center of the cart's "floor" - I'm still gonna make that pick point 4-way adjustable, just in case I end up puttin' something heavy in the drawer, etc - with the bottle in that front corner, it's VERY comfortable in the "hand truck" mode, perfectly balanced somewhere around 35-40 degrees tilt. The 13" tires makes it pretty easy to move around.

"You actually making that roof out of place then put it up on the container?" - Yup, it'll get built with the main struts clamped to this "secret weapon" - BrushBucket1.jpg - and mounted similar to what I did on my 20' container's roof - DSCN2205.JPGDSCN2206.JPGDSCN2210.JPG -

Then, when it's already to go (with the parts that go into those container corners already welded up and LOCKED to the proper width to just "plug in"), The brush bucket AND roof will get picked up (see first pic again) by the loader, driven down the driveway to the container, and (gently :D) inserted into the container corners and locked in place.

The parts that plug in will be OFFSET so the roof ends up with more coverage on the WINDWARD side of the doors, and there'll be a "tether" from the roof strut down so the windward door can be blocked open if needed.

That "brush bucket" is another project that's paid for itself multiple times - built it for tree/hedge trimming, use it for that plus a portable work platform, moving firewood (I've had over 2/3 of a cord of green maple in it, still together) - I added a front "mini-ramp" on it for the wife to get her garden cart in it easier, found out I can pull up to a good-sized compost pile and pick up the whole thing, leaves the area flat like it'd never been there -

Anyway, if I build the 10x10 "porch roof" clamped to that bucket like I plan, I can weld it out inside where my gas won't blow away - then I'll screw down the (used) roofing, so when it goes UP it'll be DONE; and with only a couple trips up a ladder to lock it in place...

Speaking of backs, mine's been this way since I was 18 (and still "invincible" :rolleyes:) - this area had basically a hurricane back in '63, I was working in a grocery store - warehouse was across an alley from the store. First anybody knew, the wind picked up a couple of cantaloupe crates and threw 'em thru the 1/2" plate glass rear doors, then proceeded to rip half the tarred flat roof off the warehouse and dump the pieces in that alley - followed by MORE wind and a cloudburst. Naturally, the half of the roof that went away was over the sugar, flour, and other dry goods - so all us "invincible young guys" got to move all that stuff into the store. Too much mess in the alley for ANY wheeled carts, so I had 2 "6-10's" of sugar, one on each shoulder, coming across the alley when I lost footing on a wet 2x12 and went down - happened too fast for me to do ANYTHING but get PILE-Driven into the ground with 120 pounds of sugar still on my shoulders :eek: -

Workmans comp chiropractor gave up on me after a year or so, plus I was leaving town so he showed me a couple tricks to "reset" things. These days it doesn't seem to work as well as it did, so I checked your link out -

Do you remember how long those little AAA batteries last? Seems like they'd peter out fairly quick, but I'm ready to try somethin' different - I have a blood pressure cuff that's Omron, no problems with it... Steve

/ Container Weld Shop build - #70  
BukitCase;That "brush bucket" is another project that's paid for itself multiple times - built it for tree/hedge trimming said:
10x10 "porch roof"[/B] clamped to that bucket like I plan, I can weld it out inside where my gas won't blow away - then I'll screw down the (used) roofing, so when it goes UP it'll be DONE; and with only a couple trips up a ladder to lock it in place...

Do you remember how long those little AAA batteries last? Seems like they'd peter out fairly quick, but I'm ready to try somethin' different - I have a blood pressure cuff that's Omron, no problems with it... Steve

So is 2/3 cord more 3/4, no wonder people like the MM system especially when it come to adding-subtracting fractions, I still have to do that on a tape measure, your right no wonder it takes me so long to build something. I always measure firewood by 1/4, 1/2, 3/4 and 1 cord. But still sounds like a good lift for a tractor and I'm assuming the lift is done by the Case 580B, must be early 70s??

A 10'x10' roof clamped to that bucket? not quite seeing that, the bucket looks 6'x8' with two diagonal support braces going down the side, must be clamping to the diagonal braces. But way way it's going looks like you wont start that roof project til next year, looking forward seeing the pictures.

That was quite a backstory way back in 63, I was only 6 and the big thing I remember was JFK. That pile drive back injury was almost like mind 25 years ago when an ATV pile drived me, oh after a couple years any injury gets better, but what I notice is them old injuries comes back and bites you in the donkey years later, when I got in my 50s them old injuries started hurtin for certain.

The Omron with AAA alkaline batteries will last quite a while, 6 months plus of steady use, mind have been in for 4 years and still have some juice and I haven't use it in over a year. If trying it for first time, start on the low setting, if you have it on high you will know it real quick.