Who uses a 3D printer?

/ Who uses a 3D printer? #11  
When you get out of the toy range, $80,000 is almost on the low side.
At the time, I was working in my metal shop app 20 hours a week and had ( still have ) the cash flow to pay for it. The salesman sold me the wrong one. And in the end ( after 1 1/2 years ) I got this one. In the mean time, my metal shop work went up 3-400%. Last year one order was for 4 TTL's of the same item.
The one I have is a multie materials from clear to "high" temp plastic printer.

Very smart business decision. That printer may well be your retirement ticket. Thanks for the clarification.

/ Who uses a 3D printer? #12  
Our 2 smaller printers are in the $20k range. The big one was $120k or so, IIRC. Some types are over a quarter mil. But these are all industrial machines, and not hobbyist grade printers.

/ Who uses a 3D printer? #13  
Well, you don't HAVE to pay that much. Fry's has one for under $500.

There are now 3D printers that can even make food, if you can believe that.

I volunteer in a "Maker Space" at a local middle school, where they have 2
3D printers. Not cheap ones, either. Also an Epilog Helix 75W laser cutter.
Figuring out how to use these tools, and incorporating them in some
meaningful curriculum is a lot of work.

These tools have great "gee-wiz factors", but practical uses? Harder to
define, as you can see.

I don't volunteer at a local maker space ( they asked me to and required I paid a year membership and dedicate at least a day a week. No thanks. ) but I do go on a rare basis. I've never seen them do anything productive with the 3D printers. They do have a laser cutter/engraver that I've used on a number of projects.

/ Who uses a 3D printer? #14  
thanks for the link... I was thinking about buying one but still unsure if its worth the $
Depends on whether you have design tools or not.

I have SolidWorks (CAD software) and a Stratasys uPrint+, which make up to 8x8x6 inch parts out of ABS. Only tractor parts made are a switch box, and a light bracket. Make a little more for motorcycles.

Most of the small machines make parts out of PLA, which does not have very good impact strength or temperature resistance.

/ Who uses a 3D printer? #15  
I don't volunteer at a local maker space ( they asked me to and required I paid a year
membership and dedicate at least a day a week. No thanks. ) but I do go on a rare basis.

The "maker space" here is at a public school (STEM-oriented), and it is 1.5hr/week, just after regular
classes. The kids pay extra to be there. Nothing going on presently with the 3D printers. I am pretty
much the only user of the laser cutter, and it is controlled with Corel Draw. Lots of connectivity troubles.