FEL Boom Conversion from Engine Hoist

/ FEL Boom Conversion from Engine Hoist #11  
In my opinion it would be a lot more useful and safer to adapt the engine hoist for a 3PT implement. I have been using mine for few years and it is the one that I usually have attached. There is an optional 3500 lb. winch for accurate positioning. One of the things I love with this setup is that when the boom is retracted it is not taking much room in the back, making my tractor shorter. If you have a loader, you already have the lifting functions anyway.

Thinking I'm gonna build one of these. Have two engine hoists, rarely use one of them. I like the idea of building one to fit on my 3 point lift. I also have an extra hydraulic cylinder laying out in the shop, might as well run hoses to the hydraulic manifold and use the tractor hydraulics while I'm at it. Appreciate the ideas.

Hmmm, I wonder if this has already been patented? ;)

Rams:drink:

/ FEL Boom Conversion from Engine Hoist #12  
Thinking I'm gonna build one of these. Have two engine hoists, rarely use one of them. I like the idea of building one to fit on my 3 point lift. I also have an extra hydraulic cylinder laying out in the shop, might as well run hoses to the hydraulic manifold and use the tractor hydraulics while I'm at it. Appreciate the ideas.

Hmmm, I wonder if this has already been patented? ;)

Rams:drink:

The cylinder operated by the tractor hydraulics would be just like icing on a cake. The idea of the engine hoist conversion is not my original. There are few versions out there in cyber space. Most of them used the runners for a platform, which is ok if you want to extend your tractor length. I opted to keep the runner in vertical position and use them for containers for various long tools. If I do need a bigger platform, I can always attach it to the existing one with just few bolts.

/ FEL Boom Conversion from Engine Hoist #13  
Very nice build. Sounds like you have a firm grip on the safety issues. For delicate use I like your idea of planting the FEL on the ground and using the jib to lift!!!!

Nothing as nice as yours, but, I rigged up a boom pole to use on my FEL. Task was to replace the head on an old windmill. Obviously nothing heavy. Takes a soft touch on the FEL controls!!!

For some reason I'm not smart enough to rotate the second pic, sorry.

20160510_151402 (1280x720).jpg

20160525_135149 (720x1280).jpg

/ FEL Boom Conversion from Engine Hoist #14  
Very nice build. Sounds like you have a firm grip on the safety issues. For delicate use I like your idea of planting the FEL on the ground and using the jib to lift!!!!

Nothing as nice as yours, but, I rigged up a boom pole to use on my FEL. Task was to replace the head on an old windmill. Obviously nothing heavy. Takes a soft touch on the FEL controls!!!

For some reason I'm not smart enough to rotate the second pic, sorry.

Good idea using the extended capability of the loader. Basically I did the same thing, not quite a long reach like yours. That was an older try-out version to see if the idea would work. The new version has the same pipe but added lateral chain support for stability. I can easily lift few hundred pounds without rock-n-rolling.

Attachments

• Front boom2.jpg
    Front boom2.jpg
    702.6 KB · Views: 146
   / FEL Boom Conversion from Engine Hoist
ovrszd your photo is one I studied when thinking about how to do the boom. I decided I wanted as much lift and reach as possible.

I considered putting the hoist on the three point, but that would limit the range of lift. Also I have a backhoe, with the hoe always installed and often used. It only takes a few seconds to drop the front bucket and pick up the hoist on the SSQA adapter. It is something of a chore to remove the backhoe, assemble the three point mechanism, then attach a three point implement. That would reduce versatility.

/ FEL Boom Conversion from Engine Hoist #16  
ovrszd your photo is one I studied when thinking about how to do the boom. I decided I wanted as much lift and reach as possible.

I considered putting the hoist on the three point, but that would limit the range of lift. Also I have a backhoe, with the hoe always installed and often used. It only takes a few seconds to drop the front bucket and pick up the hoist on the SSQA adapter. It is something of a chore to remove the backhoe, assemble the three point mechanism, then attach a three point implement. That would reduce versatility.

I think you are right on the mark for the uses you described!!!

If you ever rig up the electric saw please post pics and narrative!!!! I think that's a very innovative idea!!!

/ FEL Boom Conversion from Engine Hoist
First use. Reached deep into a storage shed to pick up this heavy old piece of furniture, then carried it over to the house and set it down on the front porch. Weighs over 100 lbs. This is much easier than manhandling it out of the shed, getting it several hundred feet to the house, then up onto the porch. The cylinder operates smooth as butter and gives a lot of lifting angles and height options.

Attachments

• jiba.jpg
    jiba.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 168
   / FEL Boom Conversion from Engine Hoist #18  
That's a great back saver! There's just a boat load of stuff around a place that's much too heavy and awkward for a guy to move by hand but with that unit it's a cakewalk. Well done! :thumbsup: