Wanted: First and Last drill press I'll ever own

/ Wanted: First and Last drill press I'll ever own #11  
Quick check on Craig's list around here shows floor model 15" drill presses are $150 - $300.

/ Wanted: First and Last drill press I'll ever own #12  
Look for used one from the 1950-1970 time frame. Even the homeowner models are pretty good.

Make sure it can spin slow. Big bits in metal need to turn at a low speed.

/ Wanted: First and Last drill press I'll ever own #13  
I've got a bench top harbor frieght drill press that I've drilled a couple hundred 1" holes in 1/2" steel with no problems. I used a 1" bi-metal hole saw. Worked great.

With that said, it is a cheap, cheap, cheap, flimsy drill press. But look at harbor frieght tools this way.... if you figure in the price of the tools to the price of the project, they come out as disposables, much like the extra nails you have if you buy a 5 pound box and only need 3-4 pounds. If the tool lasts longer than the project, you come out ahead. :laughing:

/ Wanted: First and Last drill press I'll ever own #14  
This is what I have done and I am by no means suggesting it is the best way. Just saying that it works for me.

I TRY to purchase older quality bench top DP's and refurbish them if necessary (most often the case.). I'm pretty certain I have UNDER $200 invested in the drills in the first picture.

IMG_4184.JPG

For REAL heavy drilling a mill drill or mill (as others have mentioned) works well though.
IMG_1249.JPG

/ Wanted: First and Last drill press I'll ever own #15  
I bought the HF 13” bench drill press a couple of years ago for under $200. Installed on top of a 5 drawer tool box base for storage of bits, vice, X-Y vice, etc. I use it for metal work and very happy with it.

13 in. 16 Speed Bench Drill Press

Also have a Rigid 15” floor drill press that I use for woodworking. Unlike poster above I have no problems with quill “wobble”. I bought about 5-6 years ago.

RIDGID 15 in. Drill Press with LED-R15 - The Home Depot

/ Wanted: First and Last drill press I'll ever own #16  
I had some broken/stripped bolts in a pump that occasionally re-occur (design weakness.) I was using a hand drill to drill a hole, then insert an EZ out spinning in reverse to get the broken bolt out. But sometimes my aim was bad and if I was a little off I ruined the threads in the pump while trying to get the bolt out.

My solution was to buy a Craftsman drill press from Sears. Since I always wanted a drill press, I bought the top-of-the-line most expensive model. It's heavy and lugging it home and setting it up was a chore. Laser sights and all the goodies.

When I fired it up, that's when I learned it doesn't operate in reverse. :mad:

/ Wanted: First and Last drill press I'll ever own #18  
DO NOT buy a rigid! I have one of their floor models and the chuck wobbled right out of the box. HD said to bring it back and they would give me another one but that the chuck on the new one would most likely wobble :(
I will say one thing for it though it has been tough as nails. I use it to drill steel, 1/8" to 1/2". It just about has a meltdown every time I drill a 1" hole in some 3/8" steel :)
I like the light on it too. It's too bad it wobbles, hardly noticeable with small bits but get up to a half inch and it's noticeable, your mileage may vary.
I have been on the search for an old floor drill press but have yet to find one. I would like a bit lower speed but I think about 250 rpm's is about it unless you get into industrial models.

You need to see if the chuck can be removed easily. On mine if you drop down the spindle there is a slot to put in a drift to remove.
I have an older drill press that has a taper fit in the spindle and a "taper to Jacobs chuck" adapter, then the chuck.
When I got it new the chuck kept falling out of the spindle. I put the adapter w/chuck in the freezer for a while then put it in and it has stayed.
You might just be able to remove and reseat it.

/ Wanted: First and Last drill press I'll ever own #19  
Good deal for someone. $150. Vintage Delta with the intermediate pulley that provides very slow speeds.

Delta dp24 vintage drill press - tools - by owner - sale

The vintage Delta in the C-list ad doesn't appear to have a crank mechanism for vertical adjustment. For older models without, this is what I did for mine. Makes it a little easier when you have a vise and workpiece clamped to the table.

IMG_4186.JPG
Small hydraulic bottle jack for bench top models.

IMG_4185.JPG
Screw type trailer tongue jack for floor models.

/ Wanted: First and Last drill press I'll ever own #20  
I bought a Craftsman 20" 2 hp 3/4" chuck with a coolant trough. I didn't realize how much I would use it. Buy the biggest you can afford and get a cross feed vise for it. The vise is a game changer and will allow you to position your work very precisely.