excavator style joysticks on a backhoe?

/ excavator style joysticks on a backhoe? #1  

11B2620

Tractor
B2620 and BX2200
Wondering if anyone attempted to mount joysticks on a backhoe. I have a Kubota B2620 with the BH65 backhoe and it is not comfortable to sit for long periods of time using it. I was looking at moving the joysticks up and inward and getting a seat with armrests to be more comfortable. Then I was thinking I could mount swing down arms on the ROPS and use the electric over hydraulic joysticks from an excavator. Or am I just being stupid?

/ excavator style joysticks on a backhoe? #2  
I don't think you are being stupid. I had a BH76 for a while and that thing was really uncomfortable to operate. I ended up bending the control sticks several different times in an effort to make it more user friendly. The thought of adding pilot controls crossed my mind, but I ended up trading it in on an excavator.

/ excavator style joysticks on a backhoe? #3  
I'd vote for the deal with it or trade it approach. If you do decide to modify it I'd keep it simple with just longer handles.

/ excavator style joysticks on a backhoe? #4  
Agree with the others. If you use your backhoe enough to justify installing pilot controls, trade it for an excavator. Unless you're like me and enjoy the project as much or more than the end result, keep us updated on the project!

/ excavator style joysticks on a backhoe? #5  
Yeah - I think you'd spend a lot of time and money to get something that was unique - in a bad way.

Just buy a U25 and be done with it :thumbsup:

/ excavator style joysticks on a backhoe? #6  
This is one of my next projects. My dad's loader has a joystick, but my recently purchased loader has two handles with 24" rods that go straight down to the two spools of the valve. My loader is much more clumsy to use than his. Hay feeding season has just begun (big round bales) and having a joystick would speed things up.

My low budget plan is to fix one end of an old U ag joint and 2 short yokes to the "console" where the old levers were attached and then add a handle to the other end of the u-joint (which is free to move). Next I will have the loader lift rod hooked to an ear added to one end of the vertical U-joint cross, and the dump rod will be hooked to one ear of the horizontal oriented cross. This should enable me to partially engage both valves at once when I move the lever diagonally. I will make a post as I begin my build.

/ excavator style joysticks on a backhoe? #7  
Sounds like you have the basics. The one thing to be aware of is that some valves don't allow flow on both spools very well, but it can still be
easier to feather between the two actions with a stick.

I used a few inexpensive stamped metal rod ends to make mine, the spacing in one direction is the same as the spacing between spools, in the other direction it is the same as between holes in the factory lever. I forget where I stole this idea from for the drilled plate, but it was basically a factory joystick setup, possibly for Danfoss. With your longer links, I don't think that will be an issue.

Sorry these are so dark...black paint will do that (somewhere I had a set of pics before they were painted that was easier to see, but I think the forum they were on lost them in a server outage).
Overview From R
Overview From L
Stick Back (lift)
Stick Forward (down)
Stick Right (dump)
Stick Left (curl)

/ excavator style joysticks on a backhoe? #8  
Glyford- thanks for sharing those pics. Nice, simple design.