Homemade Grader

/ Homemade Grader #1  

BrokenTrack

Veteran Member
Tractor
Tractors, Skidders, Bulldozers, Forestry Equipment
This past summer I needed to extend my logging road up over a fairly steep grade, and include rock check dams, crown, water bars, etc. A great importance however was getting a road that was flat along its length. I had a grader blade that could mount to the 3 point hitch, BUT the problem with those is, as the tractor rides into a hole, the grader blade dips down, and coming out of it; it goes up. For a smooth, flat road that is no good.

To cure this, I welded my grader blade to a goose-neck shaped I beam that bolts between the front hitch of my log trailer, and the back portion of it. This lengthened my trailer to 18 feet giving me a much more smoother road. The walking beam suspension of the trailer also allows the blade to stay flat even when it hits a rock or bump helping to make a smoother road as well, And of course the goose-neck design allows the grader blade to be angled in each direction.

It does lack a tilt function, but honestly I can reestablish any crown with my bulldozer much easier, and then just smooth up my roads with my grader. The worst issue is that it can be a pain to bolt and unbolt from the trailer. But as for a finish, it leaves my roads satin-smooth.

Attachments

• DSCN5126.JPG
    DSCN5126.JPG
    3.5 MB · Views: 1,112
  • DSCN5127.JPG
    DSCN5127.JPG
    3.5 MB · Views: 671
   / Homemade Grader #2  
Another interesting idea :thumbsup::thumbsup: keeping compact...2 for the price of 1.

/ Homemade Grader #3  
Welcome to TBN Broken Track !
I recognize your equipment from another forum :thumbsup:

/ Homemade Grader #4  
A very nice unit.

From the looks you would have no problem adding tilt.

/ Homemade Grader #5  
This past summer I needed to extend my logging road up over a fairly steep grade, and include rock check dams, crown, water bars, etc. A great importance however was getting a road that was flat along its length. I had a grader blade that could mount to the 3 point hitch, BUT the problem with those is, as the tractor rides into a hole, the grader blade dips down, and coming out of it; it goes up. For a smooth, flat road that is no good.

To cure this, I welded my grader blade to a goose-neck shaped I beam that bolts between the front hitch of my log trailer, and the back portion of it. This lengthened my trailer to 18 feet giving me a much more smoother road. The walking beam suspension of the trailer also allows the blade to stay flat even when it hits a rock or bump helping to make a smoother road as well, And of course the goose-neck design allows the grader blade to be angled in each direction.

It does lack a tilt function, but honestly I can reestablish any crown with my bulldozer much easier, and then just smooth up my roads with my grader. The worst issue is that it can be a pain to bolt and unbolt from the trailer. But as for a finish, it leaves my roads satin-smooth.

Attaching your blade even further back (closer to the trailer wheels) should give still better results.
Have you ever considered a Huber Maintainer?
Looks like a stretched tractor with belly blade, and is a near perfect grading machine (other than a full size motor grader).
Hubers were first manufactured in the 40's, but some maybe as late as the early 80's?
There is currently a nicely restored one on E-Bay right now.

/ Homemade Grader
Attaching your blade even further back (closer to the trailer wheels) should give still better results.
Have you ever considered a Huber Maintainer?
Looks like a stretched tractor with belly blade, and is a near perfect grading machine (other than a full size motor grader).
Hubers were first manufactured in the 40's, but some maybe as late as the early 80's?
There is currently a nicely restored one on E-Bay right now.

I never considered moving it back. I mounted it at the mid-way point as measured from the center point of the tractors rear wheels, and the center point of the first trailer wheel, but I was not sure if that was right. In a way those are the two pivot points, but a argument could be made that it pivots where the trailers hitch mounts to the tool bar (drawbar) of the tractor too.

Never heard of the Huber, but was aware of a Fordson grader of sorts...vaguely though.

/ Homemade Grader #9  
Several tractor brands were fitted with various grader fronts over the history of grading! --AC had a couple factory wc and wd, speed patrols, some companies used ih m and h on their units, I even saw 1 mm with a front on it!--fords were used too.
Allis had a nice small model D motor grader, (used a wc, wd motor in it),--I had a ac 45 (hoggin machine) and that was a road builder! had the 516 hd 11 bulldozer engine in it with a jimmy 6-71 supercharger on it!

Your grader should do the job for you!---one less engine to keep up, and always have it with you!
Oh, and the chainsaw in your other thread,---NICE saw!! (nice lady too!) !!! thanks; sonny580

/ Homemade Grader #10  
I think I would experiment with adding weight to your goose neck if the blade doesn't cut into that dirt well enough (looks like it's some pretty tough dirt). Just start off light so you don't do damage to the blade. You could even add some rippers to help break things up.