PTO Generator Scoot

/ PTO Generator Scoot #1  

BrokenTrack

Veteran Member
Tractor
Tractors, Skidders, Bulldozers, Forestry Equipment
This is not the most involved build I ever did, but when a friend gave me a 20 KW, 83 amp PTO Generator, I needed to mount it to something. It did not need to be super portable, but movable if needed. My first thoughts were to mount it to an old woods trailer I had, but it would have taken an 8 foot PTO shaft. So after a little thought I realized I could just build and then mount it onto a scoot. I had the wood kicking around from the old sawmill, so i cobbled some lumber up and carriage bolted everything. It looks pretty weak, but actually is rugged in design.

The generator itself needed a wee bit of work because it did not come with a PTO shaft. This old style generator takes an odd shaft size: 1.125 female smooth bore yolk on one end, and a 1.375 6 spline on the other. Of course a person cannot get 1.125 without ordering it straight from the factory...to a tune of $250, so I bought a regular pto shaft with 6 spline on both ends, then bought a new 1.000 yolk and swapped them out. A bit of machining work brought it up to 1.125, then a little grind on the woodruff key, a drill out of the generator stub shaft to 5/16 and a new roll pin and I was done.

Here is a picture of the Generator on a scoot. Not the best picture, and it still needs a coat of paint, but it works. Total cost was $191.00 dollars, not bad for a 20 kw generator.

Attachments

• PTO Generator.jpg
    PTO Generator.jpg
    823 KB · Views: 522
   / PTO Generator Scoot #2  
Is that an Onan? Looks a lot like the 15 K model I had. The chicken farm where I got it, didn't have it mounted at all. Just lying on something to raise it up inside and a hole in the wall for the pto shaft..

/ PTO Generator Scoot #3  
Looks good, especially for the price! Outlets and switch are on the other side of the board? Is it 3 phase?

/ PTO Generator Scoot
Is that an Onan? Looks a lot like the 15 K model I had. The chicken farm where I got it, didn't have it mounted at all. Just lying on something to raise it up inside and a hole in the wall for the pto shaft..

No, it is a Winco.

As for the chicken farm...I suppose, but I was afraid with all that torque, what little bit of feet it had was not much to keep it from whipping around. Apparently unfounded, but at least I can move it around some.

/ PTO Generator Scoot
Looks good, especially for the price! Outlets and switch are on the other side of the board? Is it 3 phase?

No the outlets are behind the box in the photo, and no 3 phase, but my farm does not have 3 phase here anyway.

/ PTO Generator Scoot #6  
I'm trying to figure out what a "scoot" is. From your picture it looks like a 2 wheel cart minus the axle and the wheels.

/ PTO Generator Scoot
I'm trying to figure out what a "scoot" is. From your picture it looks like a 2 wheel cart minus the axle and the wheels.

A scoot is similar to a stone boat, but has a little higher runners. The following photo is NOT mine, but shows a horse drawn scoot. We always had them growing up, but pulled them behind bulldozers and tractors. On frozen ground with snow, enormous loads could be hauled on them. They are also known as a Sledge in some parts of the world.

Because a Generator is not moved a lot, and it would tie up a trailer, I thought a scoot would work well for this application.

Attachments

• 8417356237_749c5522f4_b.jpg
    8417356237_749c5522f4_b.jpg
    522.1 KB · Views: 275
   / PTO Generator Scoot #8  
In NC we call that a sled. Years ago we put burlap around 3 sides and pulled through the field to carry the tobacco leaves we had just primed (pulled from plants). The back end was Left open to make easier to load and unload.

/ PTO Generator Scoot #9  
I thought a "scoot" is what the wanna-b-badazz's called their Harleys?

SR