Trailer Locks

/ Trailer Locks #1  

mike48130

Platinum Member
Tractor
JD 4410, 4210 Ford 1700, 550, Bobcat 843
Anyone have any good home made trailer tongue locks? Most commercial ones I have seen are crap.

I like this one from etrailer but at $40 each I think I will make them. Looking to get 2 at least maybe 3 I think I can make it better and use a better lock.

BLTL-20-40D_500.jpg

/ Trailer Locks #2  
I don’t think the quality matters. They’re all going to defeat bolt cutters and they’re all going to loose to cordless grinders.

/ Trailer Locks
I would agree but when I think about anything security related there's always several levels. Eliminate the amatures first. Then make it so it takes time and makes noise.

/ Trailer Locks #4  
Sometimes I take the lug nuts. I’ve been trying to design a gate latch that can’t be easily cut with a grinder and doesn’t provide a wasp house. One security measure I can think of for you pictured design would be to add some protection above the pin and add a pipe around the lock.

/ Trailer Locks
Thought about doing something with the tires too. Was just curious if someone already had a good idea. Trying to find a way to protect the lock so you can't use bolt cutters. Grinders take more time and are noisier but that only matters if someone is around.

/ Trailer Locks #6  
Agree that most anything you use to secure your trailer can be defeated by a cordless grinder with a cut-off wheel. All you can do is slow a thief down so they have to make noise to get it. I have a hitch lock and HD cable padlocked thru the wheels on each trailer plus each is insured. Blocking the hitch area with another vehicle is a deterrent too.

/ Trailer Locks #7  
Agree that most anything you use to secure your trailer can be defeated by a cordless grinder with a cut-off wheel. All you can do is slow a thief down so they have to make noise to get it. I have a hitch lock and HD cable padlocked thru the wheels on each trailer plus each is insured. Blocking the hitch area with another vehicle is a deterrent too.

I usually park the tractor with the bucket resting on my wood splitter hitch.

/ Trailer Locks #8  
At work we have portable generators scattered all over the place in remote areas. We use wheel boots similar to what the police use. Pricey but you're not likely to lose a trailer. Someone tried to drag one off once, didn't get far until they gave up.

/ Trailer Locks
At work we have portable generators scattered all over the place in remote areas. We use wheel boots similar to what the police use. Pricey but you're not likely to lose a trailer. Someone tried to drag one off once, didn't get far until they gave up.
I think I've seen that on the Simpsons.

I do have a IR compressor I want to lock up. Really trying to have a good deterrent. I keep my tractor and splitters inside. I have 2 locations to deal with and the one tractor is outside but hoping to change that this year. Have cameras so I want to make it hard on them so maybe I have a chance to catch them.

/ Trailer Locks #10  
Trailer tongue locks will not even slow down a thief. They just lay the tongue on the bumper. wrap the safety chains around the bumper and drive off. Then deal with the lock later. Google wheel locks. They are similar to the boot locks the police use. There is a lot of steel to cut and the thief may not notice the lock and create quite a scene trying to drive off.