Anyone build a grapple like this

/ Anyone build a grapple like this #1  

Stomper

Gold Member
Tractor
2017 Kubota L2501
Just wondering if anyone has built or used a grapple like the one in the link. 90% of what I will be using a grapple for will be getting fire wood for my outdoor wood boiler. This looks like it would clamp down a single piece or on several pieces. I like the design
Igland GR20 Grapple - YouTube

/ Anyone build a grapple like this #2  
It looks a little limited in its application. Looks pretty good for logs and large rocks, as it shows, but useless for brush. I'd rather have a bit more of a compromise grapple. Not purpose built for one specific task, but instead able to push up, pile, and grab brush and debris as well as move logs, and even maybe pick up split firewood.

/ Anyone build a grapple like this #3  
I also agree that it is limited. Check out my design. I have to figure out a few details, and it will be ready. Screenshot from 2018-01-25 20-53-18.png

Grapple - AGreekulture Farmstead Wiki

Last edited:
   / Anyone build a grapple like this #4  
There are a lot of them around here, and in my opinion only good for rocks & 8-10' logs. While they are designed for logs and will clamp them, to me they lack the width and require a lot better estimation from the operator to "balance" the log with a very narrow load support. The design lacks (for the average user) in terms of versatility. On the other hand they can be had for just over a grand I think and are prolly fine for smaller tractors & loads. A friend has one and it's adapter to ssqa is weak and bent up pretty good.

/ Anyone build a grapple like this #5  
That grapple is styled after the huge ones they use on wheel loaders to unload logging trucks in a single pick. The bottom forks are spaced pretty far apart is clearly designed to allow smaller materials to fall through. Awesome if you're trying to pick logs up. Might work if you have enough brush to bridge the bottom teeth, but you should anticipate dropping some material. I personally use a small grapply and I really like it. It's a very versatile tool and I find that I can do more things with this grapple than I could with a larger one. The only drawback is moving brush. This is the one task that a larger grapple would excel at. Here's a mfr link to mine: Home

Couple videos with me using it: Moving log with Faver grapple - YouTube Boulder - YouTube Moving culvert with Faver grapple - YouTube Moving concrete block with Faver grapple - YouTube https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aUsXppAMD8M

/ Anyone build a grapple like this #6  
Agree with others here.

Looks good for logs......sucks for about every other aspect of a firewood operation

/ Anyone build a grapple like this #8  
It would be cheap to build and nice for logs. It would be handicapped for most other uses.

/ Anyone build a grapple like this #9  
It looks a little limited in its application. Looks pretty good for logs and large rocks, as it shows, but useless for brush.

I own a similar design (Sundowner GR40). It works just fine for the brush I haul, but then I'm not trying to pick up a bunch of 2' long pieces.

/ Anyone build a grapple like this
The main purpose for it would be harvesting firewood. I won't be moving much brush with it or much of anything eles for that matter. My primary need for a grapple is firewood.