Add a "wing plow"...need ideas

/ Add a "wing plow"...need ideas #11  
I seem to remember someone building a wing for his deere. Front of wing was hinged on the loader mount and used the 3 pt for lift. I think it was in the projects forum.

/ Add a "wing plow"...need ideas #12  
Beenthere built one.

/ Add a "wing plow"...need ideas
Thanks for the ideas. I'll search "Beenthere". I brought long piece of 5x3x3/8" aluminum angle home from work; will try bolting it on to the lower edge of the plow (using a couple of the plow blade bolt holes. Might end up being a bust, but it's cheap try. Stay tuned.

/ Add a "wing plow"...need ideas #14  
I have a 7' rear blade that swings out(L4240) and found it doesn't work well for cutting back banks.Full swing on arm and blade ends up straight(LandPride 5070).

/ Add a "wing plow"...need ideas #15  
You probably will find that the result will be simply to push the tractor sideways as a lot of front weight is needed.
Damage to the front wheels or rims might occur. (I trashed mine that way)
The safest would be to occasionally attack the banks at an angle every 8-10 ft or so, OK, slow but safe and probably only once or twice per winter. And doing so with front wheels not angled.

I once made an extension like you propose on my heavy plow truck and it resulted in a few shattered front right axel shafts and Ujoints.

Now on a heavy tractor (like 60-100 hp) that would not be a problem.

In fact with my 20 hp CUT I tackle snow banks every so often always now 'straight on' a couple time a season.
Best time is whenever there is mild day or better a brief thaw as then the snow banks are soft and easy to push back.

Even our road contractor attacks the snow banks with his tractors and loaders whenever we get a mild break as he simply needs the room to push next snow events.
We get , like 100-200 inches around here.

LOL, my worst event when I truck plowed was a 34" dumping in one day. I almost cried as my blade was only 24" high and all my drives were downhill towards lakeside and most were long.
Easy going downhill but would I get back up?

/ Add a "wing plow"...need ideas #16  
Wing plows put a lot of weight on the front end and after time stuff breaks 0209181611-00.jpg

Well, I'm learning a lot. First the good:
It definitely can dig down and break up the banks, making it easier to push them back some with the plow. Typically, after a few storms, with the plow angled, it tends to "trowel" the banks smooth. Then they freeze, so that trying to plow subsequently they just keep you inside like a luge. With my "angle iron wing plow", I can break up the big chunks, loosening the banks.

Now the problems:
My "blade" is not high enough; the snow scootches over the top. My first idea of a half pipe would probably have worked better. But I have a foundation to work with now. I can add a curved blade to the end of the angle, capturing the snow long enough to funnel it away from the road.

Second, My plow pivots at the center (so that it follows the camber in the road. This is a disadvantage when trying to carve the banks, because the end can lift up and the left corner of the plow dips down into the drive. Gotta work on something to keep it from pivoting.
Work in progress.
IMG_7814.jpgIMG_7815.jpgIMG_7816.jpg

Wing Plow; Rev 2.0:
File Feb 18, 14 46 59.jpeg

It works OK, but the tilt on the plow is really screwing it up. I tried putting a piece of steel in the notch that allows the plow to tilt back and forth, so that the starboard side of the plow was tilted downward (enabling me to carve the banks sloping away from the road), but I couldn't keep anything firmly in the notch. I'm giving this version a C+ and will keep thinking about it.

Thanks! I searched high and low for posts by "been there" and did not come up with that. Great thread; good design. I'm totally rethinking now. Lot more beef going on at the 3 pt hitch than using the FEL. Need to find a front attachment point though. If I can't find anyplace on the tractor, there is a large round pipe connecting the two arms of the FEL; I might be able to use that just to hold the front end; shouldn't contribute much twist to the FEL as my current design does.