Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Tractor
    Kubota L3240, Kubota B7100, Kubota F2560, John Deer, F525 Mule 600

Default Man Lift

Quote Originally Posted by ericm979 View Post
    Does that happen often? The one time I have had a loader hose fail it was a small leak. The loader did not crash to the ground and I was able to get the tractor back to the barn.

It seems like a more common problem would be the tractor operator accidentally operating the loader and either dumping the person in the lift or crushing them against a tree or building. When I build mine I think I won't have my inexperienced wife operate the tractor with me in the lift. Setting the tractor and loader in position, locking the loader controls and then using a ladder to get to the lift sounds safer though less convenient.
    People here like the find some non existent safety issue and talk about it like itís another 9/11. I challenge anyone to find a single accident cause be a hose blowing on a tractor manlift, pulling above the axel on a modern tractor with a FEL or drilling a hole in the ROPS. Iíll take my man basket on a tractor over a ladder any day of the week. 1.3 million people die in car crashes in the United States each year and nearly 4000 people drown, but that man lift is scary stuff.

Tractor
    B2620, Toro Z-Master 45 3 (2 3hp Kaw asaki, 52" deck.Kubota RTV 900)

I'd feel a lot safer to coming to the ground in a man lift that had blew a hose, than falling off a ladder. Let's face it, there is risk once we get out of bed in the morning!

Tractor
    Kubota L3240, Kubota B7100, Kubota F2560, John Deer, F525 Mule 600

Default Re: Man Lift

Quote Originally Posted by Will_C View Post
    I'd feel a lot safer to coming to the ground in a man lift that had blew a hose, than falling off a ladder. Let's face it, there is risk once we get out of bed in the morning!
    A real man lift isnít coming down with a blow hose. A forklift is going down but itís going in a vertical path but not very rapid. A tractor is going to dump you out, but at least you made it 1/2 way down first.

Tractor
    MT180D

Did not notice but perhaps some method of 'hold back', like a chain just in case the operator dumps or tilts the forks downwards. (like hits the wrong valve)

Tractor
    Kubota L3400HST

Quote Originally Posted by PILOON View Post
    Did not notice but perhaps some method of 'hold back', like a chain just in case the operator dumps or tilts the forks downwards. (like hits the wrong valve)
    Yes, I do have two 500# work load rope pulleys, one on either side, going to 10K D-rings. Each is independently connected to the bucket.

Re Working in a man lift being safer than off of a ladder, one of my most important uses is for tree trimming, and power spraying the house and workshop outside walls. I've personally seen my neighbor using a power spraying while on a ladder 2 stories up, get absolutely pushed off of the ladder as soon as he pulled the trigger. That was an ugly sight for sure. Put him out of commission for 6 months, with permanent disabilities. I think I'll take my chances with a man lift over a ladder.

Tractor
    Kubota MX5800 HST & L6060 HST Formerly B7100 HST, L2550, L3010 HST, L3430 HST

Quote Originally Posted by Gem99ultra View Post
    Built myself a man lift out of a 1-ton cargo container frame. I ditched the plastic base because 1) the floor wasn't solid nor smooth and 2) the cross rails on the bottom had one that was broken.

In simple terms, I simply unbolted the aluminum frame from the plastic base and threw away the plastic tank. Took a 36" x 48" pallet, decked it with 3/4" plywood and mounted the aluminum fame. Cut out a doorway and added safety chains, put wheels on the pallet for easy moving around when not on the tractor, and added a couple of healthy D-hooks on the side to prevent dropping the rig accidentally. My total cost was about $50; $35 for the tote, $8 for D-hooks and used salvaged chain and casters.

Here's a picture of my "finished" product. Comments regarding additional mods needed are welcome.

Attachment 539620
    Clever build! I can see it being quite useful as long as you have a second person to operate the FEL.

Since I usually work alone and would have to access the platform via a ladder, I would make a another "door" opening in one or both sides. I would also add ladder stops to keep a ladder from sliding side to side.

Tractor
    Kubota L3400HST

Quote Originally Posted by bdhsfz6 View Post
    Clever build! I can see it being quite useful as long as you have a second person to operate the FEL.

Since I usually work alone and would have to access the platform via a ladder, I would make a another "door" opening in one or both sides. I would also add ladder stops to keep a ladder from sliding side to side.

The pallet is a 4-way pallet, so lifting can be from any sides. My original thought was to have the door facing the tractor. I don't know... any thoughts on which way is best?

I saw an earlier post from someone that made a fixture for their ladder to tractor, to carry the ladder with them. That's an excellent idea. I've been trying to find that post to copy their system.

Tractor
    Kubota MX5800 HST & L6060 HST Formerly B7100 HST, L2550, L3010 HST, L3430 HST

Quote Originally Posted by Gem99ultra View Post
    The pallet is a 4-way pallet, so lifting can be from any sides. My original thought was to have the door facing the tractor. I don't know... any thoughts on which way is best?

I saw an earlier post from someone that made a fixture for their ladder to tractor, to carry the ladder with them. That's an excellent idea. I've been trying to find that post to copy their system.
    Since you can lift the pallet in any direction, another door isn't necessary. You just have to arrange it so the door is ladder accessible at the work site.

I once had an old pallet I used as a platform for tree pruning. The pallet was a bit smaller than the 48" forks I had so I just hung the ladder sideways on the protruding fork tips. It was a bit awkward maneuvering around trees and buildings though.

Tractor
    Kubota B2320

The pallet in your picture is not a true four way pallet. If you lift from the "sides" there are no cross boards under the forks. Those boards help prevent the pallet from being able to tumble off the forks. Imagine you have the pallet on the forks, and you are leaning over the front of the cage. Your weight combined with the leverage of the cage top will tend to lift the back of the pallet off the forks. Without the cross boards, it will keep going. Be safe, and don't lift the pallet from the sides. The forks need to be between the top boards and the bottom boards. Also be sure the bottom boards are well secured and strong.

I like your idea and may adapt it for myself, possibly with a steel pallet or frame, and a foldable/pivoting ladder attached at the opening, since I tend to work alone most of the time.

Tractor
    Kubota L3400HST

Quote Originally Posted by RBA50 View Post
    The pallet in your picture is not a true four way pallet. If you lift from the "sides" there are no cross boards under the forks. Those boards help prevent the pallet from being able to tumble off the forks. Imagine you have the pallet on the forks, and you are leaning over the front of the cage. Your weight combined with the leverage of the cage top will tend to lift the back of the pallet off the forks. Without the cross boards, it will keep going. Be safe, and don't lift the pallet from the sides. The forks need to be between the top boards and the bottom boards. Also be sure the bottom boards are well secured and strong.

I like your idea and may adapt it for myself, possibly with a steel pallet or frame, and a foldable/pivoting ladder attached at the opening, since I tend to work alone most of the time.
    You're absolutely right about the pallet NOT being a 4-way. It only appears to be, looking at it from the sides. My bad. I will definitely take your precaution seriously. I also like your idea on finding a metal pallet; perhaps my friendly local kubota dealer might have something... I sure liked the apple crate idea too, although I've never seen any of those around here. I'm not likely to find such a good base for my man lift.

I did get an opportunity to use it over the weekend, trimming 3 - 30' tall River Birch trees. Wow! It was rock solid and 10x safer than my 12' step ladder. I love it, and will continue to improve it. Its definitely a keeper idea, although not my original.

Thanks for the input - good ideas seem to grow to be great ideas with contributors like yourself.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast