3 pt Winch

/ 3 pt Winch #3  
That was a common way to build them, in the past...

SR

/ 3 pt Winch #4  
Once again confirms YouTube commenters are like monkeys doing calculus; mildly entertaining but mostly childish and wrong.

/ 3 pt Winch #5  
Once again confirms YouTube commenters are like monkeys doing calculus; mildly entertaining but mostly childish and wrong.

Quote from the video: "OSHA would have a heyday with me". He ain't kidding either with no guards in place, no warning stickers, etc.

One other point, that winch is going way too fast to be safe, it needs to be geared down even more. But I do wonder what the pull rating on it would be???

/ 3 pt Winch #6  
I do wonder what the pull rating on it would be???

Some quick math making several assumptions:

Oliver 770 is rated at 47 HP PTO. That works out to 457 lb ft torque at 540 RPM PTO speed. Not sure what the ratio is in his truck axle, but say it's 3.55:1. Since it's driving an open diff with the other axle locked by the brake, it pushes the ratio back up to 1.775:1. 457*1.775 = 811 lb ft of torque. Say the rim is 15" diameter, the center section where the strap is riding has a radius of approx 6". 811 * 12/6 = 1622 lbs pulling force. That's at rated PTO RPMs. I don't know what a 6 cyl oliver torque curve looks like, but assuming it stays relatively flat from idle to rated PTO speed and the governor can keep RPM steady at idle, winch pulling force would stay around 1600 lbs at idle.

Now if he welded the spider gears or added a locker, that would double the pulling force to 3200 lbs. Better yet, wrap the strap around a 2" piece of pipe with a locker in the diff, and you'd have around 4800 lbs pulling force, then less as the strap wound up on the pipe. Then you could really bend stuff and kill people when something breaks.

Feel free to check the calcs.

Last edited:
   / 3 pt Winch #8  
   / 3 pt Winch #9  
About 1500 bucks. That's not too bad, all things considered. I wonder what the specs are on it? I can't find any on their website.

I could find little information on it either. I do know that the winch is hydraulically driven so one would have to have remotes (which I do). I could not even find the price so you are ahead of me on that. I sent a note to the company so we will see if they answer. The video was impressive. I've used capstan winches on boats and felling trees (twice) and it is amazing how they work, not enough pull, take another turn.

/ 3 pt Winch #10  
Okay, there is a comment on the YouTube Video that says, "Only 9k, not bad." Well, that's not, "not bad" to me. I wonder how much hydraulic flow they use to get it going, I would suspect not nearly what a regular hydraulic winch requires. It would not be too hard to fab this up if one could find a reasonably priced hydraulic capstan winch.