Building a Shop / Weld Table

/ Building a Shop / Weld Table #21  
There are gobs of calculators on Google to determine steel weight. I think it's a wise tool to use when you have your materials figured out. Gives you an idea of what to expect in regards to moving the table. My table loaded nears 1000lbs. On a clean floor I have to lean into it for a couple seconds to get it started rolling. I move it frequently depending on the project. Wouldn't get nearly as much use from it static.

/ Building a Shop / Weld Table #22  
Here's mine in it's work clothes.

20180301_165746 (1280x720).jpg

/ Building a Shop / Weld Table
My table plans have already changed since yesterday afternoon, thank you TBN. I think I have narrowed the top size to 30" wide by 5' long OR 36" wide by 5' long. Anybody ever wish they had built smaller? Is this a case of bigger is better? So 30" or 36"?

/ Building a Shop / Weld Table
Take a tape and measure the receiver our a truck or something. For the receivers drills 2 holes. On perpendicular sides and weld nuts over the holes so you can use a bolt to tighten up a tool in the receiver.
Went to one of our local metal supply place (Wheeler Metal) this afternoon. I asked about what they suggested for the receiver style mounting hardware. Using their sample board it looks like a 2 x 2 x 3/16 square tube fits nicely inside a 2-1/2 x 2-1/2 x 3/16. I know a standard receiver has a collar around the front end - do I need that collar?

Attachments

• IMG_6215-1.JPG
    IMG_6215-1.JPG
    151.6 KB · Views: 230
   / Building a Shop / Weld Table #26  
The collar won't do much for your application. Instead of a pin I would weld on a 1/2" nut so you can tighten it. The pin will allow it to wobble.

/ Building a Shop / Weld Table #27  
Richard is that a wilton vise I have one from 1940 or so I would have to take it apart to read the date again

Yes. Love these old Wilton vises. I lost one in a shop fire few years ago. Was lucky to find another one. So easy to use and extremely dependable. If you look closely you can see I've bent the handle on this one. I use it hard. :)

/ Building a Shop / Weld Table #28  
My table plans have already changed since yesterday afternoon, thank you TBN. I think I have narrowed the top size to 30" wide by 5' long OR 36" wide by 5' long. Anybody ever wish they had built smaller? Is this a case of bigger is better? So 30" or 36"?

Mine is 36x60. For two reasons. It's the size of plate I found. And it fits my shop nicely. My shop is 42x50.

/ Building a Shop / Weld Table #29  
Mine is 36x60. For two reasons. It's the size of plate I found. And it fits my shop nicely. My shop is 42x50.

Mine is 3'x5' for the same reason. But it is only 1/2" thick. If it was thicker I would drill it for bench dogs.

20150319_170910.jpg

/ Building a Shop / Weld Table #30  
I modified some inexpensive floor locks to make them adjustable and welded one on each corner of my steel castered weld table.

IMG_3865.JPG

Photo above: Left floor lock OEM. Right one Big Barnerized.

IMG_3866.JPGIMG_2148.JPG

IMG_4834.JPG

Not only can the table be locked in place, but it's now quick and easy to fine tune for levelling.