enclosing a trailer

/ enclosing a trailer #1  

mikehaugen

Elite Member
Tractor
John Deere 1070
Hey everyone! So I have a cheap crappy folding 4'x8' utility trailer that was given to me a while back... most likely from harbor freight. I have never used it because I never had much use for it, but I'm starting to think a small enclosure on it would be make it useful for camping trips. First thing I want to do is weld it rigid because I HATE the folding aspect of it. I will also put new wheel bearings and slightly larger tires on it.

As far as the enclosure my plan is to build a skeleton out of 1"x1"x11ga square tubing. I'm thinking 3' tall. I found some 1/4" 4x8 hdpe panels at Menards that I thought would make a great skin, but now I am questioning it. When I looked at them in person I see there is label on them and it recommends using slotted holes to fasten it to allow for expansion. I was going to butt them up at the corners (without overlapping) and then filling in the corners with silicone, then trimming over that with aluminum angle. I don't know how much expansion to expect, but I feel the joints may become a problem. For the floor, I was thinking 3/4" plywood and then 1/8" hardboard for the interior walls.

Any thoughts on these plans, particularly the hdpe panels? I looked around some to see if anyone else has tried this but didn't come up with much, so maybe there is a reason? Also, I now see that I can special order 1/8" hdpe panels... would they be sufficient do you think? Thanks in advance for any advice.

/ enclosing a trailer #4  
At a tractor show this past summer I saw a small trailer (4x8) with a calf shelter on top. It was bolted down to the deck and most folks (city) didn't know what it was. Looked good.

/ enclosing a trailer #5  
If you watch CL you can find cheap pop-up campers needing some repair under $1000.
Probably be more efficient for camping.

/ enclosing a trailer
Well I think it was misleading when I said camping. I don't intend to sleep in this. We have a yukon, but once you start putting 6 or 7 people in it, there's not much room left for gear. I sometimes use a rack in the hitch but it's a pain. Another thought is we are planning a trip to Florida this summer. We will stay with my wife's uncle but he has already hinted that he may want me to do a few repairs while we are there... so that means having to drag at least some tools down there.

The funny thing about space is the more you make the less you seem to have.

/ enclosing a trailer #7  
Another way that I have seen this done was to put a pickup truck cap on the trailer. You can often find older ones for sale locally that are fairly inexpensive.