Simple but effective winch for tractor

/ Simple but effective winch for tractor #3  
I like that. Too bad there is not more information on fabrication and items used. Looks like using an open diff and simply unlocking/locking one axle at a time makes it work - I like the simplicity of that concept - wonder about the strength of the pull but I love the speed.

/ Simple but effective winch for tractor #4  
I like the ingenuity of some people.

The only observation I have concerns the height of the winch cable that will be under tension.

It looks to be at the height of the top link which might pull the tractor over.

Just feeding the cable unto the bottom side of the drum would make it much safer.

Dave M7040

/ Simple but effective winch for tractor #5  
The winch has "feet" on it, it would be darn hard to pull that tractor over backwards... There would be all kinds of warnings long before that started to happen...

SR

/ Simple but effective winch for tractor #6  
I like the ingenuity of some people.

The only observation I have concerns the height of the winch cable that will be under tension.

It looks to be at the height of the top link which might pull the tractor over.

Just feeding the cable unto the bottom side of the drum would make it much safer.

Dave M7040

One could also put a snatch block lower, below axle height, so the rearward pull is from that point vs from the drum. The feet are a good point as well - one could weld on a "dozer" bucket from an ATV across the legs to improve holding the tractor when pulling a heavy load - I know when I use my Jeep's winch to pull a heavy log, I always put a strap around a tree and hook it to the back of the Jeep because the brakes won't keep it from sliding.

/ Simple but effective winch for tractor #7  
A Citroen 2CV I suppose, the 2CV has the drum brake mounted at the gearbox, using the handbrake mechanism to force the power on to the axel that drives the drum.

/ Simple but effective winch for tractor #8  
One could also put a snatch block lower, below axle height, so the rearward pull is from that point vs from the drum. The feet are a good point as well - one could weld on a "dozer" bucket from an ATV across the legs to improve holding the tractor when pulling a heavy load - I know when I use my Jeep's winch to pull a heavy log, I always put a strap around a tree and hook it to the back of the Jeep because the brakes won't keep it from sliding.

Snatch block mounted lower or similar pulley
Debardage avec treuil artisanal - YouTube

Dave M7040

/ Simple but effective winch for tractor #9  
Not the brightest bulb in the pack, that's for sure...

SR

/ Simple but effective winch for tractor #10  
I like that. Too bad there is not more information on fabrication and items used. Looks like using an open diff and simply unlocking/locking one axle at a time makes it work - I like the simplicity of that concept - wonder about the strength of the pull but I love the speed.

There's a winch on a truck at the junkyard that works the same way but it's a truck rear end. Does anyone know what that rear end is out of?