Home Built Skid Loader

/ Home Built Skid Loader #42  
Hello Ron here are some details.
Total cost is less than $2k. Most of that is in the hydraulics. The most expensive part is the control spools and the hydrualic motors. The system is completely hydrostatic drive. So it uses hydraulic motors, one per side and drives just like a tank would.

The engine is a 75 Pinto engine. I bought a pinto from a local impound yard for $50 bucks, another 50 for various things the engine needed. The pump is rated at 3500 rpm, 3000 PSI, and puts out 14 GPH at 2000 RPMs. However, I designed the system with open centers on the spools. So, if you are doing no work there is no pressure in the system it bypasses. When you close the spools for driving or lifting you only develop enough pressure to do the work so it is nice to not have 2k psi all the time.

I also fixed the problem that so many skid loaders have when driving. Many skids will jump and jerk as you move the controls around. I simply put a needle valve accross the motors and set it for about 10% total flow. This will then give you a bypass for small variations in the control and also gives a nice braking action if you let go of the controls.

I have more details but I dont want to bore you too much

chrisk
major question. I am going to build a ski steer here soon are there any more pics of your skid steer. also what type of hydro pumps and motors did you use.

/ Home Built Skid Loader #43  
adamgallaher, I see this is your first post... So I thought I would point out that this thread started four years ago and the OP (original poster) has not been back as far as I can tell...

/ Home Built Skid Loader #44  
Can you send me a copy of the SolidWorks files?

Also, do you have a material list? Any part #/specs on the hydraulioc controls/motors?

/ Home Built Skid Loader #46  
:newhere: :mur:

/ Home Built Skid Loader #47  
Would you be able to post the plans? Interested in to maybe build one, but at least take a look at them.
Thanks

/ Home Built Skid Loader #48  
I would be interested in the homemade skidsteer plans too. Pm me, Thanks

/ Home Built Skid Loader #49  
chrisk

Last Activity: 06-19-2004 12:36 PM

One of the coolest builds ever on TBN. Too bad chrisk hasn't been active since 2004.