Home Built Skid Loader

/ Home Built Skid Loader #1  

chrisk

I just came across this discussion board and it looked like it supported do it yourself projects. Well here is mine, completely homebuilt. The hydraulics are purchased. If anyone has any interest I can post additional specs and even supply some plans if you like.

Thanks

chrisk

Attachments

• 444369-loader.JPG
    444369-loader.JPG
    91.8 KB · Views: 13,599
   / Home Built Skid Loader #2  
Looks GREAT!

Did you keep track of how much $$ you have in it. Details pls. Engine size, etc.

THANKS.
Ron

/ Home Built Skid Loader #3  
That looks GREAT!
Did you draw up the plans yourself, or find them on line?

/ Home Built Skid Loader
Hello Ron here are some details.
Total cost is less than $2k. Most of that is in the hydraulics. The most expensive part is the control spools and the hydrualic motors. The system is completely hydrostatic drive. So it uses hydraulic motors, one per side and drives just like a tank would.

The engine is a 75 Pinto engine. I bought a pinto from a local impound yard for $50 bucks, another 50 for various things the engine needed. The pump is rated at 3500 rpm, 3000 PSI, and puts out 14 GPH at 2000 RPMs. However, I designed the system with open centers on the spools. So, if you are doing no work there is no pressure in the system it bypasses. When you close the spools for driving or lifting you only develop enough pressure to do the work so it is nice to not have 2k psi all the time.

I also fixed the problem that so many skid loaders have when driving. Many skids will jump and jerk as you move the controls around. I simply put a needle valve accross the motors and set it for about 10% total flow. This will then give you a bypass for small variations in the control and also gives a nice braking action if you let go of the controls.

I have more details but I dont want to bore you too much

chrisk

/ Home Built Skid Loader
One more thing, as for the plans. These are all mine, I got a couple of detailed pictures of cat 763 and used a set of mics to scale the drawing to get the basics. The rest I filled in. I have the plans in a 3-D drawing program called solid works.

Attachments

• 444384-computer.JPG
    444384-computer.JPG
    22.1 KB · Views: 7,480
   / Home Built Skid Loader #6  
Forget the loader for a minute. I love that bucket! I have often thought about the perfect bucket design, and I always get a mental picture of your bucket. Flat, deep bottom to prevent gouging with skimming topsoil. Cutting edge tucked in close to front tires to help prevent whoop-de-doo's. Low back to see over it easily. Did you design it, or did you copy an existing design? Oh and the loader isn't bad either! /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

/ Home Built Skid Loader
That bucket is my design too. All I did there was to maximize the use of a full sheet 4x8 of plate, I cut off to 64" the width and just played around on the computer with the 48" to come up with the shape. That design is just how it came out. I included the drawing for the bucket design if you would like to copy it.

chrisk

Attachments

• 444489-bucket1.jpg
    444489-bucket1.jpg
    92.5 KB · Views: 7,869
   / Home Built Skid Loader #8  
Thanks for the offer Chrisk, but I have a brand new loader with a 66" bucket. Just the front loader unit cost me more than your entire skid loader, and it doesn't even have a nice bucket like yours. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

This is the 2nd cool little home built skid loader I have seen. The other one had industrial tires and didn't look as big as yours, but it was a real beauty!

Hey, if you paint it, please post pictures!

/ Home Built Skid Loader #9  
Wow, great pic AND neat drawing! I'm impressed.

I'm more of a sketch and torch guy--that's why your stuff looks better.

Keep the pics/details coming.
Ron

/ Home Built Skid Loader #10  
Welcome to the forum, chrisk. And that's an amazing piece of work. Some of the rest of us (like me) just thought we were do-it-yourselfers, and you sure burst our bubble. /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif