Bringing new life to the Rotary Cutter

/ Bringing new life to the Rotary Cutter #1  

BMan2005

Platinum Member
Tractor
17' New Holland Workmaster 60 & 02' Kubota L3000F
Bought a 7' Bushwacker 8410 second hand not long ago. Mower had some bumps and bruises but everything was in excellent mechanical condition other than I need a new stump jumper pan. For what I got it for, the condition it was in, and these run new I figured I would by it, go over well, and have a great true HD mower to last me a long long time.

Anyhow, I'm now in the process of removing all the rusted bolts, old rust, and repainting it. I decided to tear it completely down so I could try to do this just one and have everything painted and sealed to keep the rust at bay. Ran over it with a 4.5" twisted wire cup on my grinder, put three coats of Ospho to treat and seal what remained, and just put the first coat of primer on. Finished color will be NH blue to match the tractor. IMG_20180414_111516.jpgIMG_20180414_111240.jpgIMG_20180414_113216.jpg

/ Bringing new life to the Rotary Cutter
Putting on the first coat of Ospho, After 3 treatments of Ospho, and first coat of primer.

Attachments

• IMG_20180419_193211.jpg
    IMG_20180419_193211.jpg
    4.2 MB · Views: 540
  • IMG_20180419_164030.jpg
    IMG_20180419_164030.jpg
    5.7 MB · Views: 498
  • IMG_20180414_181500.jpg
    IMG_20180414_181500.jpg
    5.5 MB · Views: 420
   / Bringing new life to the Rotary Cutter #3  
Looks good.

Looks good.

Thanks man. If I had it to do over again prepping the steel for paint I think I would load everything on the trailer and carry it to be sand blasted. Been a long drawn out job with the amount of surface rust it had. But I will say it's done a nice job cleaning it up, just time consuming.

/ Bringing new life to the Rotary Cutter #5  
Thanks man. If I had it to do over again prepping the steel for paint I think I would load everything on the trailer and carry it to be sand blasted. Been a long drawn out job with the amount of surface rust it had. But I will say it's done a nice job cleaning it up, just time consuming.

Thats funny you say that about the sand blasting. I am in the middle of doing the exact same thing on a brush hog. Tore it all apart, used a 4 1/2" grinder with a cup brush also. ( will post pics) Neighbor said he had a brother that would sandblast my 4 ft brush hog for $125.00. I thought that was high, and retired I have time to do it. Well after about a day and a half, I think I will sand blast next time. As you say, it came out good, but what a job!!

Thats funny you say that about the sand blasting. I am in the middle of doing the exact same thing on a brush hog. Tore it all apart, used a 4 1/2" grinder with a cup brush also. ( will post pics) Neighbor said he had a brother that would sandblast my 4 ft brush hog for $125.00. I thought that was high, and retired I have time to do it. Well after about a day and a half, I think I will sand blast next time. As you say, it came out good, but what a job!!

Yeah, by the time I bought a new twisted wire cup, brush, and Ospho I'm close to the cost of sand blasting. Don't even need to think about my time invested.

Like the old saying, "If you want the wind to blow start a fire". Well if you want it to rain try to paint in my case! :mur:

Was belong to be perfect conditions today and rain Sunday night through Tuesday so I figured I could get a second coat on my mower and first on all the parts I stripped off. Didn't happen! Rain built up just before lunch and humidity is now going to be high after it moves out before the big rain makes it tomorrow now. On top of that, the oil based primer is extremely slow to dry for the next coats, been almost 48hrs and the first coat is still a little soft. But I'm trying to follow the paint manufactures instructions to be sure it comes out right.

I think on my next project a set of 9' Taylor way disk I plan to re finish I'll look into just putting color matched bedliner on it so I can coat it in one day. This is becoming time consuming.

/ Bringing new life to the Rotary Cutter #8  
Like the old saying, "If you want the wind to blow start a fire". Well if you want it to rain try to paint in my case! :mur:

Was belong to be perfect conditions today and rain Sunday night through Tuesday so I figured I could get a second coat on my mower and first on all the parts I stripped off. Didn't happen! Rain built up just before lunch and humidity is now going to be high after it moves out before the big rain makes it tomorrow now. On top of that, the oil based primer is extremely slow to dry for the next coats, been almost 48hrs and the first coat is still a little soft. But I'm trying to follow the paint manufactures instructions to be sure it comes out right.

I think on my next project a set of 9' Taylor way disk I plan to re finish I'll look into just putting color matched bedliner on it so I can coat it in one day. This is becoming time consuming.

Keep at it! It'll be worth it when it's complete!

PS- post a pic of your pup, looks like a good helper! :)

That's what I'm hoping for. Besides I'm in to deep to back out now. Lol

This is her doing what she loves man. She's with me about everywhere I go, just the best dog I could ask for.

Attachments

• baileeducks.jpg
    baileeducks.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 480
   / Bringing new life to the Rotary Cutter #10  
That's what I'm hoping for. Besides I'm in to deep to back out now. Lol This is her doing what she loves man. She's with me about everywhere I go, just the best dog I could ask for.

Aw man she looks awesome, she's loving it for sure! Beautiful pup!