Rustoleum implement paint mix ratio?

/ Rustoleum implement paint mix ratio? #1  

davedj1

Veteran Member
Tractor
Kubota L2501
I picked up a quart of Rustoleum implement paint today and some paint thinner. The can has no directions on it.
I saw a youtube video where the guy did five parts paint, two parts acetone and .33 part hardener.
I have never heard of using acetone for a thinner.
What say you all?
Thanks

/ Rustoleum implement paint mix ratio? #4  
Never used hardener.

Rustoleum is formulated differently than most paints (acetone thinner, etc.). Hardener might or might not work. I would definitely do a small test first.

A web search might find something about Rustoleum hardener.

Bruce

/ Rustoleum implement paint mix ratio? #5  
I checked - "Rustoleum hardeners" and there are several recommended. The hardener type depends upon the Rustoleum being used.

/ Rustoleum implement paint mix ratio? #6  
I thin Rustoleum with acetone all the time and have for 15 years. You need to thin more than you think. I spray a light coat outside on a warm day and then a few minutes later a slightly heavier coat. Works fine. I never use hardener because of the risks of lung damage. Lots of threads on that.

/ Rustoleum implement paint mix ratio? #7  
My experience is that Rustoleum works pretty well without a hardener, but be careful for the first month or so. It gets really hard and durable but cures very slowly.

/ Rustoleum implement paint mix ratio? #8  
Prefect timing on this thread. I have a 15 year old rotary cutter that is mechanically sound but could use a paint job. Thanks!

/ Rustoleum implement paint mix ratio? #9  
Can't say enough good about Rustoleum paints, I've used them for around 30 years. I thin with mineral spirits not quite half and half for great results.

The stuff takes a long time to dry but the longevity is excellent. You'll notice once cured the paint is impervious to gas and oil also.

Best of luck, Fred

/ Rustoleum implement paint mix ratio?
Well I sprayed the top today. Overall it went OK. I thinned it according to their website to about 15% and then I added about a third of an ounce of hardener. I made 10 oz of paint at a time. It's not a real glossy finish, I couldn't seem to get a wet look. I don't know if it was today's weather or what.
I sprayed my winch with the Magic paint a month or so back and had no trouble getting that glossy.
Maybe the acetone? and the weather?
It almost looks like a matte finish.
MF0Ai4hl.jpg