Water Hose Storage

/ Water Hose Storage #1  

mercdv

Silver Member
Tractor
John Deere 2305
Hey gang, one thing that I have been searching for high and low but haven't found anything that isn't way too expensive or isn't a giant piece of crap, is a water hose cart. I'm interested in a cart or even just a good storage idea that I can mount on a cart. I've found some diy ones but they are mostly made of wood or the metal ones are impractical to mount on a cart. I'd prefer something made of metal since I have the tools for the job. I figured some of you guys out there have made your own from scratch or re-purposed other items as a cart/storage unit and might share some pics of what you have made. If you have found a product that isn't $200+ and lasts for years that would be better than building my own, I'd take those suggestions too.

Ideas?

/ Water Hose Storage #4  
I have a 15 ft long hose at the house outdoor spigot and the hydrant by the shed. I coil them on the ground. That's all we need, the long hoses are hanging in the shed just in-case we need one someday.

/ Water Hose Storage #6  
Bought 3 of these Vector Retractable Hose Reels last year. One if the best investments ever. They come with 100 ft of 1/2" hose. You loose some volumn with the smaller diameter hose but I can live with that. In hindsight I might have gone with one of the similar models with 65 ft of 5/8" hose but the ones I bought are pretty great.

My wife has a habit of unrolling every hose around the house and leaving it where she finished with it. So far she has yanked on these and rolled them back on the reel.

/ Water Hose Storage
Sorry for the delayed response, thanks for all the suggestion. I had seen that post on the other forums but those solutions seem too heavy for my wife and kids to cart up and down our hill side, especially if I had the weight of a cart to it. I had considered a Eley Reel because everyone seems to rave about them but they are really expensive. I considered buying the cheaper wall mount Eley version and make my own cart but I want the total cost to be less than $100 for what I make. I can't really use a fixed reel model because it needs to be used on all 4 sides of the home and travel with me to my parent's place. I don't know, maybe at this point I should just keep hauling the hose around for the wife and parents when they need it.

/ Water Hose Storage
I have two of these the oldest one is about ten years old. Still works great with 250 feet of hose on each one.

https://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200640135_200640135

Do you have any rust problems with them? I've looked at similar models by other brands that appear to be manufactured by the same Chinese company that make these and there have been rust issues with the similar looking ones. That is the reason I have tried to stay away from this type of reel but I do not know anyone personally to ask them about their experience with this type of reel. If you do have some rust is it just in certain spots that are easy to get to without disassembling the whole thing to remove the rust?

/ Water Hose Storage #10  
No problem with rust. I'm really surprised how well they have held up. They were considerably less then some other brands. I do blow the water out in winter and store them in shed.