Insulating Farm water well equipment building

/ Insulating Farm water well equipment building #1  

tlj87

Gold Member
Tractor
JD 4700, Kubota BX2370-1, Kubota RTV1140CPX, Kubota F3060, Club Car Precedent
A portion of one of the properties that I manage is a leased farm. We just had a new well drilled to serve the farm area of the property. We are installing a pre-built amish 6'x8' shed to house the pressure tank and filtration equipment. The pump is a submersible type.
The property is located in the central portion of western PA, near the OH line. The shed needs to be insulated and heated to prevent freezing in the winter. The framing is 2"x3" (not 2x4). I am wondering what the best method for insulating this structure is? I'm not sure if I should "cut and cobble" 2" foam board between the studs and seal around the edges or leave the cavities empty and put the foam board over the top of the studs and tape the seams? We'll be installing a small electric heater in the structure.

Attachments

• IMG_6580.JPG
    IMG_6580.JPG
    332.6 KB · Views: 142
  • IMG_6581.JPG
    IMG_6581.JPG
    2.1 MB · Views: 160
   / Insulating Farm water well equipment building #2  
The "best way" would be to spray foam the interior then cover that with plywood or OSB. That would probably be the most expensive also.

/ Insulating Farm water well equipment building #3  
I made a shed for my pump and used 2" closed cell foam panels. Those panels have a high R Value. This building is set in the ground (It does not have a floor) so I capture the heat from the earth and protect the incoming and outgoing pipes. Also, the buidling is small. Actually the lid lifts off of the pump house, there is no door. The pressure tank is only 30" high so this is not hard to accomplish. But I don't feel you need a large space to accomplish your needs.

Now in the end your cold is not my cold so YMMV.

/ Insulating Farm water well equipment building #4  
The other issue is the floor joists are not insulated so your tripped up before you even start.

Plan on tipping that building up on its side and holding it up with saw horses and having the joists spray foam insulated if your going to to use this shed. You can cut the excess foam off and then nail 1"by 6"s to cover it entirely.

Is the shed over the well casing now?

/ Insulating Farm water well equipment building #5  
I used 2" foam board between the studs, floor to ceiling.. no problems.
Before I added the foam board I used 1 lamp w/ a 100w bulb & no insulation in the walls.. just around the pipes.. also no problems..
THEN I lost power out to the pump house & added the foam & NO LITE.. no problems..
Altho we don't see minus temps, it does get in the single digits & the occasional snow.. 8" last year.. whoo hoo.. Lol

/ Insulating Farm water well equipment building #6  
I’d spray foam it. I’d also remove the floor to get rid of the air space between the ground and the shed to get the ground heat and keep that being your week link for a freeze point.

/ Insulating Farm water well equipment building #7  
As has been said, closed cell spray foam is the best.
I wonder how much per building they save by using 2x3's instead of 2x4's? I find that humorous as the cost savings must be negligible.
I'm surprised that they aren't made out of rough sawn being Amish.

/ Insulating Farm water well equipment building #8  
The pump won't last for ever. How will you pull the pump with a large heavy 6x8 shed covering it? My experience is that things seldom quit working when it's sunny and 70 degrees outside.

/ Insulating Farm water well equipment building #9  
As has been said, closed cell spray foam is the best.
I wonder how much per building they save by using 2x3's instead of 2x4's? I find that humorous as the cost savings must be negligible.
I'm surprised that they aren't made out of rough sawn being Amish.

I think a lot of our local "Amish built" are actually from the "iPhone Amish" sect.

/ Insulating Farm water well equipment building #10  
We have a small outbuilding housing our pressure tank and controls for our well. 2x4 walls with fiberglass insulation, electric wall heater. I usually have a remote temp sensor in there during the winter, so I can check temp. When it gets colder (below 20F) with wind from south, I may have to start kerosene heater. We plan on remodeling and either spraying insulation or using rigid foam so we need less heater on time.