Remodeling Question - Outside Window Removal (not)

/ Remodeling Question - Outside Window Removal (not) #1  

Beltzington

Platinum Member
Tractor
JD 3720
This isn't tractor related but I know many of you are experienced DIY and/or professional contractors.

I am remodeling our master bathroom and installing a large walk-in shower where the previous owners had a large whirlpool tub. The problem is there is an outside window where the back wall of the new shower will be and since the window is right over the back-deck there is a privacy issue in addition to preventing interior water damage. To complicate matters the outside wall is brick so the window flashing is not accessible without removing brick and if remove the window I will have a large hole I will have to fix.

My question is there any structural or building code issues with just leaving the window installed and framing and tiling over it on the inside shower wall? The widow is single hung thermal pane metal frame in good shape. I'll likely cover it on the outside with a solid pane of stained glass just to disguise the fact the window is not functional and provide some decoration for the deck.

My gut feeling is this a half-xxx way of doing this but the more I think about it the more it makes sense, even if I remove the window, tear out the brick, repair the sheathing, and brick it over it will be obvious as I do not have any of the original matching bricks. Also, this is the first time I have ever actually had the window open to use it as a trash chute.

Does a window have to be a window? What are your thoughts.

Attachments

• IMG_0756.JPG
    IMG_0756.JPG
    2 MB · Views: 210
   / Remodeling Question - Outside Window Removal (not) #2  
Put one-way window film on the glass.

/ Remodeling Question - Outside Window Removal (not)
Put one-way window film on the glass.

I don't believe the window would be waterproof on the inside and am concerned moisture from the shower would/could into the inside wall?

Am I wrong? I have never seen a window in a shower wall before.

Thanks

/ Remodeling Question - Outside Window Removal (not) #4  
I've seen the window left in and covered over on the inside on quite a few homes with varying results. Some of them you would have no idea that the window was still there, others developed moisture issues and I was hired to repair the damage. I can't say how yours will turn out over the long term, but odds are good that eventually you will have moisture issues.

Removing the window and installing brick is a really simple and easy thing to do. Finding the matching brick is by far the hardest part of the job. Just do one row of bricks at a time, use a straight edge to make sure that you are keeping the row of bricks in line and level, and take your time.

/ Remodeling Question - Outside Window Removal (not) #5  
I don't believe the window would be waterproof on the inside and am concerned moisture from the shower would/could into the inside wall?

Am I wrong? I have never seen a window in a shower wall before.

Thanks
My dad has a window in shower.. Not a good idea.

I would be inclined to leave it, and close it off inside.

/ Remodeling Question - Outside Window Removal (not) #6  
In the apt I grew up in there was a window in the 'right' wall as you faced the shower head, set into a brick exterior wall. It wasn't centered on the wall, but a bit more than 1/2 way back from the wall with the shower head (in other words, closer to the right wall as you faced the window than the 'left' wall w/ the shower head). The shower was tiled 3/4 of the way up, and the window trim painted w/ a glossy paint w/ caulk or sealant around it. Never had any issues that I know of (and my grandparents owned the building). I would think that as long as you didn't have water constantly spraying the window directly, you should be fine.

/ Remodeling Question - Outside Window Removal (not) #7  
This isn't tractor related but I know many of you are experienced DIY and/or professional contractors.

I am remodeling our master bathroom and installing a large walk-in shower where the previous owners had a large whirlpool tub. The problem is there is an outside window where the back wall of the new shower will be and since the window is right over the back-deck there is a privacy issue in addition to preventing interior water damage. To complicate matters the outside wall is brick so the window flashing is not accessible without removing brick and if remove the window I will have a large hole I will have to fix.

My question is there any structural or building code issues with just leaving the window installed and framing and tiling over it on the inside shower wall? The widow is single hung thermal pane metal frame in good shape. I'll likely cover it on the outside with a solid pane of stained glass just to disguise the fact the window is not functional and provide some decoration for the deck.

My gut feeling is this a half-xxx way of doing this but the more I think about it the more it makes sense, even if I remove the window, tear out the brick, repair the sheathing, and brick it over it will be obvious as I do not have any of the original matching bricks. Also, this is the first time I have ever actually had the window open to use it as a trash chute.

Does a window have to be a window? What are your thoughts.

Without seeing your plan, my first thought would be to remove the window (not the frame) and replace it with a few glass bricks/blocks.

Glass Block Photo Gallery :: Accent Building Products
Glass Block Window in Shower - Bing images
Colored Glass Block Wall - Bing images

Attachments

• bathroom-windows.jpg
    bathroom-windows.jpg
    27.4 KB · Views: 232
   / Remodeling Question - Outside Window Removal (not) #8  
My old house I just restored looks identical to yours. Mine is older, 1930 vintage, with no longer available brick (even a different size, old lime based mortar) making a patch hard to accomplish. I had an identical window, once over a bath, that was converted into a large walk in double shower, all tiled. I removed the entire old window to the framing, (replaced all my other windows also) had one made with all pvc vinyl, with privacy glass. I re-trimmed the outside with PVC trim, and tiled the entire inside with tile so there is no trim exposed. I sloped the inside sill slightly. It look great, outside and inside, adds light to the shower, is extremely private, and maintenance free. I’ll take some pictures tonight and post later. It looks like an identical situation as yours.
In other areas of the house, I had to change window sizes, so did patch the brick. You can see it but it looks pretty good. Most people probably wouldn’t notice.

/ Remodeling Question - Outside Window Removal (not) #9  
That would work pretty good too. Look forward to the pics.

/ Remodeling Question - Outside Window Removal (not)
Appreciate the comments everyone -

Eddie - Was the moisture damage due to water getting in from the outside or the result of condensation on the inside?

DDBackhoe - Glass blocks were my original plan until I tore down the drywall yesterday and saw how the window was installed. I had not thought of building a second frame inside the existing frame. That may be a perfect solution, I will need to think on that for a bit. Thanks!

HCJ - I will be looking for your pictures, thanks.