water heater roller

/ water heater roller #1  

BrettW

Platinum Member
Tractor
Yanmar FF205D
I read somewhere about converting an old water heater to a roller. Anyone recall this at all? I need a roller and saw 2 old water heaters ready for pickup by the city. thanks, brett w

/ water heater roller #2  
I suppose it could be done but I don't believe the material is thick enough to make a good roller. I believe it would be too easy to dent it an knock holes in it as it rolled over small rocks.

/ water heater roller #3  
I'm thinking the material is too thin for a decent roller. Also most hot water heater's are glass lined aren't they??? That may prove to be a problem as well. I bought the 24" X 48" steel roller from TSC and I had to make some modifications for it to work properly. I have actually dented in going over some rocks and the steel on it is pretty heavy.

/ water heater roller #4  
i made one from a large water pressure tank, it was still too thin to just fill with water since it would dent, so i filled it with concrete and it works pretty good, weighs about 2200 lbs i calculated i think , i could be wrong tho

/ water heater roller #5  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( Also most hot water heater's are glass lined aren't they??? That may prove to be a problem as well )</font>

yea the water tank i had used to make mine was one that they called glass lined, but when i cut into it i found that it was actualy an epoxy type coating on the inside, the stuff smelled terrible and burned a thick black smoke as i torched it.

/ water heater roller #6  
If it is truly glass-lined, you could have the same experience we did many, many years ago.

We had the idea of making a chimney by taking several of these heaters, cutting the ends off, and welding them together.

Torching a glass-lined tank takes quite a bit of effort. We ended up hitting and bouncing the outside to break the liner so we could effectively cut them.

We were successful, but that's the last time we'll try that. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

You wouldn't have to cut that much, and I don't know about the plastic linings or the thickness of today's tanks, but the old ones were tough.

Just wanted to advise you of a potential snag to watch for...

-JC

/ water heater roller #7  
I have a roller in work that I am fabricating from a 4 foot
long Propane tank. It has a diameter of 26 inches. I got
it for free, so the price was right. Couple more hours
work and it will be ready. I will post a photo if interested.

/ water heater roller #8  
ALWAYS post photos, and with your abilities it will always be appreciated.