cheapy guard for front of brush cutter

/ cheapy guard for front of brush cutter #1  

Soundguy

Old Timer
Tractor
RK 55HC,ym1700, NH7610S, Ford 8N, 2N, NAA, 660, 850 x2, 541, 950, 941D, 951, 2000, 3000, 4000, 4600, 5000, 740, IH 'C' 'H', CUB, John Deere 'B', allis 'G', case VAC
Well now that I'm going to be using my 8n or NAA to do all my 'trim' cutting with the 5' hog, I need to worry about rocks getting kicked up into my back, etc.

I'm about half way done with a guard made from a cut up semi-truck mud flap ( 3/8 heavy rubber clap with cords.. kinda like a thick bailer belt.. ) and some 1.5" perfed angle iron.

This will be a bolt on / off design.. and no drilling or welding will be necescary.

The A-frame bottom on my 5' KK mower convieniently has 2 bolts in a horizontal plane on either side supporting the 'A' frame.

I used (2) 1' sections o fthe iron, and drilled out the holes in the appropriate areas to accomodate the 1/2 bolts on the mower. There was enough thread left protruding to slide the bracket over, and add another 1/2 nut.. this gives 1 brace on either side of the 3pt frame.. and they stick out but not far enough to hit the tire.
Another 5' section of the 1.5" angle iron is run across the front and attatched thru the spaced holes on the braces. Mudflap is attatched thru the spaced holes on the 5' front frame. 1/4 hardware made the mudflap and braceto front frame support.

I still have some fitting to do before I take a pic.. but should be saturday latest.

Best part is the price.. ths gard cost about 16$ for the 6' and 3' section of perfed angle iron(TSC), and 4$ for a semi-truck mudflap (truckstop), and a couple bucks and some change for the (4) 1/2 inch nuts and smal assortment of 1/4 hardware from the cheap bulk bins at tsc. While it's not as pretty as the chain ones.. it is also about 130$ cheaper.. and all total I guess I will have about an hour and 15 minutes into it.. and that includes the frosty beverage at the end too.

Looking at the howse setups.. this should easilly adapt with a small change in assorted hardware...

Soundguy

/ cheapy guard for front of brush cutter #2  
Looking forward to your pictures. Although I have not had a problem with UFOs flying around me when mowing, I still like the idea of a guard on the front of the cutter. Had been considering chains, but the cost to buy premade is pretty high. Still debating whether to make my own chain guard or to do something like you did. /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

/ cheapy guard for front of brush cutter #3  
When I was hoggin' with an 8n - I had to keep expanded metal on the motor as well. Kept kicking rocks into it - broke the fuel bowl once - bent the fan bad - put a small hole in the radiator at the same time ... hanging the expanded metal from under the top cowling solved it. - I just wired it on.

/ cheapy guard for front of brush cutter
On my 1920.. rocks didn't hit me either.. but now I'll be mowing with my 8n, and those tractors sit a bit lower, and more in line with the back of the mower.. so I expect the guard I am making will actually get some use and abuse.

I agree.. the chain guards are out of this world on price... And they don't seem to fit well on a KK, as the blade is almost right at the front, and I worry about chain/blade interaction. So my rubber guard is offset about 4" to the front of the hog..

Soundguy

/ cheapy guard for front of brush cutter #5  
not to downplay safety, but out bushog is open in the front and we mow with an NAA and i havent had to much stuff come out the front and up hight enough to get to me or the tractor, usualy just goes under so it may not be as bad as you think or your mower may be designed a bit different and it is worst i dunno

I havn't done much cutting with my 8n or NAA.. used to do it on my ex-NH1920.. which was high up and had back protection.

Now that I'm mowing with the NAA for finish and trail cutting where the 10' cutter won't go, I'm just being safe. Some of the guys I hang out with on the ytmag N board report 'occasional' objects flying into their back. No injuries.. just nuisance. As you state.. it may never happen.. though I'm trying to avoid the possibility that it will.. besides.. this only cost me about 22$.. Even if that saves one 'ding' in my back I'll be happy.

Soundguy

/ cheapy guard for front of brush cutter #7  
henro has a good post going regarding his solution mounted ON the tractor.

lots of people have the chain or rubber gaurds on the cutter, better than nothing for sure, then they say I've never had this happen, but there is that gaurd on the machine and say you don't need it? well maybe 99% of time you won't need it and may never, but who's to say you are not that 1% that DOES need it. several stories about sticks through people or metal fence posts ect...

mark M

/ cheapy guard for front of brush cutter #8  
The way my CK20 is designed, most things that manage to get out the front can't get up to me, but it could hit my fuel tank, tires, or anything under the tractor. I've been meaning to put SOMETHING on the front of the mower, but I haven't yet done so. I've had several things come through the front without any damage yet, but I know it's going to happen some day. I've got to look for something like Chris made for my Howse cutter. John

Pics are in the attatchments area.. ( i think! )

Soundguy