towbar for ATV

/ towbar for ATV #1  

Rgillard

Silver Member
Tractor
Fiat 82-94
Hello,

I am currently building a small trailer that will be used for rolling out sheep wire. It is for the fencing contractor that I work for. I have to weld a towbar onto the back of his quad(ATV) in order to pull this trailer. Where is the best place to weld to. I was going to weld to the frame but it moves with the suspension. Would I be better off taking it from the back axle. The trailer is fairly light and shouldnt put too much strain on the ATV. If anyone has any advice on putting a towbar onto an ATV I would really appreciate it. Dont really want to make a bullocks bag of the back of the ATV.

Cheers
Gilly

/ towbar for ATV #2  
ATV tow points are mostly off the rear axle housing. Most manufacturers offer a bolt on bracket for towing. Lots of aftermarket tow hitches available. I wouldn't want to weld to the axle housing, too much risk of weakening the tube or overheating the aluminum differential, or melting a rubber seal.

/ towbar for ATV #3  
Hi
here is a pic of my hitch on my ATV.

Charlie.

Attachments

• 469227-fuel filter change 023.jpg
    469227-fuel filter change 023.jpg
    51.6 KB · Views: 728
   / towbar for ATV
Thanks for the photo. Is it just a steel plate welded onto a crossbar on the frame. What sort of attachments do you pull with this. I think i was going to overcomplicate the hitch when maybe a simple plate would be strong enough. Appreciate the help. Thanks.

/ towbar for ATV #5  
Hi
we have used it to pull a trac vac model 860 and a yard cart and it works great. Also use it to move or relocate a 16 foot trailer.

charlie

/ towbar for ATV
Am i right in thinking that you welded the steel plate directly to a cross member. is that the only connection there is. is there any need for a 45 degree verticle strut to conteract any turning moment that the towbar will be subject to???

/ towbar for ATV #7  
I'm pretty certain that Lazy's atv came with that hitch setup from the factory.

What type (brand and model) atv do you have? This could help us in giving information.

/ towbar for ATV
Im just at work at the minute.i cant remember the manufacturer. The ATV is not mine. Ill try post a picture of the back end of it when I get home in about an hour. That might be more helpful to you guys suggesting idea's. Thanks

/ towbar for ATV #9  
Hi
You are correct it came with the hitch. It is a 2 inch receiver tube welded to the frame.

Charlie

/ towbar for ATV #10  
Arctic Cat had a heck of a good idea including the 2" receiver tube as part of the package. I like their MRP system too. Other manufacturers need to do something similar.