Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Silver Member
    Tractor
    Fiat 82-94

Default towbar for ATV

Hello,

I am currently building a small trailer that will be used for rolling out sheep wire. It is for the fencing contractor that I work for. I have to weld a towbar onto the back of his quad(ATV) in order to pull this trailer. Where is the best place to weld to. I was going to weld to the frame but it moves with the suspension. Would I be better off taking it from the back axle. The trailer is fairly light and shouldnt put too much strain on the ATV. If anyone has any advice on putting a towbar onto an ATV I would really appreciate it. Dont really want to make a bullocks bag of the back of the ATV.

Cheers
    Gilly

Default Re: towbar for ATV

ATV tow points are mostly off the rear axle housing. Most manufacturers offer a bolt on bracket for towing. Lots of aftermarket tow hitches available. I wouldn't want to weld to the axle housing, too much risk of weakening the tube or overheating the aluminum differential, or melting a rubber seal.

Tractor
    ford 1920 w/fel and bh, case 470, allis chalmers B 1937, JD 450 track loader, Case vac, 3 cub cadets ford lgt 125, Kubota 2230/60 inch mower.1948 farmall cub 1953 farmall cub

Hi
    here is a pic of my hitch on my ATV.

Charlie.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Silver Member
    Tractor
    Fiat 82-94

Thanks for the photo. Is it just a steel plate welded onto a crossbar on the frame. What sort of attachments do you pull with this. I think i was going to overcomplicate the hitch when maybe a simple plate would be strong enough. Appreciate the help. Thanks.

Tractor
    ford 1920 w/fel and bh, case 470, allis chalmers B 1937, JD 450 track loader, Case vac, 3 cub cadets ford lgt 125, Kubota 2230/60 inch mower.1948 farmall cub 1953 farmall cub

Hi
    we have used it to pull a trac vac model 860 and a yard cart and it works great. Also use it to move or relocate a 16 foot trailer.

charlie

Silver Member
    Tractor
    Fiat 82-94

Am i right in thinking that you welded the steel plate directly to a cross member. is that the only connection there is. is there any need for a 45 degree verticle strut to conteract any turning moment that the towbar will be subject to???

Tractor
    Kubota BX2200

I'm pretty certain that Lazy's atv came with that hitch setup from the factory.

What type (brand and model) atv do you have? This could help us in giving information.

Silver Member
    Tractor
    Fiat 82-94

Im just at work at the minute.i cant remember the manufacturer. The ATV is not mine. Ill try post a picture of the back end of it when I get home in about an hour. That might be more helpful to you guys suggesting idea's. Thanks

Tractor

Hi
    You are correct it came with the hitch. It is a 2 inch receiver tube welded to the frame.

Charlie

Tractor
    Kubota BX2200

Arctic Cat had a heck of a good idea including the 2" receiver tube as part of the package. I like their MRP system too. Other manufacturers need to do something similar.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast