Plastic fence post maker...

/ Plastic fence post maker... #1  

dixiedrifter

Silver Member
Ok I been thinking, 5 inch posts at my TSC are like $10+.

So what if you could make your own posts out of plastic bottles, jugs, or even better the sheeting used to wrap silage and other bales of hay?

Basically the idea woudl be similar to a log splitter, cept with a pipe on the I-beam for compression. See attachement. No flaming please, it was done in "paint".

The top image is the "mini-log" maker. This takes plastic (preferably ground) and compresses it into short small logs. On the end is a thick bar stop that can be removed at the end of the compression cycle to allow removal of the "mini-logs".

The second image is the extruder. The "mini logs" are forced via hydraulic ram into a slightly smaller diameter pipe. On the outside of the pipe is an oil bath heated to 350-400 degrees fareheight.

The combination of pressure from the reduction of the "mini-logs" + the hot oil bath might be just enough to fuse the plastic making a fence post.

Course to keep it all straight, immediately after the heated extrusion "nozzle", a water bath could be rigged up to cool the newly formed post and keep it straight and true.

Comments on my madness?

http://personalpages.tds.net/~jareds/postmaker.bmp

/ Plastic fence post maker... #2  
Hi Dixie,

I have a friend who started a biz doing what you are thinking. His website was: http://www.newwood.com/html/catalog.html There are some pics of the stuff he did. I don't think his biz survived. Not exactly sure why. He had TONS of plastic he could use, so supply wasn't a problem. He had real machines (read expensive) that turned the stuff in to dimensional "lumber".

I had a couple of his 4x4 posts and man was it DENSE!

I'm not sure why they couldn't make a go of it. Don't know if the machines to make it cost too much or the energy needed was to much or what. I know it took a lot of heat, pressure, and time to make each piece of product.

They had a grant to make some stuff for the state, and I think when that ran out, they sold out to someone else. So I don't know if it's viable or not.

I don't know your background, but my guess there are critical events in the process required to get something that is sturdy. Miss just one key requirement and your post would be a pile of garbage (pun, sorry).

Best wishes,
Ron

/ Plastic fence post maker... #3  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( <font color="blue"> I'm not sure why they couldn't make a go of it </font> )</font>

Those posts are very expensive,I would go broke buying those and fencing my place.

Diameter Length Cost
3” 8 ft. $18.
3” 10 ft. $22.5
5” 8 ft. $36.
8” 10 ft. $40.

/ Plastic fence post maker... #4  
I never priced the stuff (posts were "try them out" deals".

I'm not sure how the price compares with wood--I'm sure it is more expensive, but if you are building a forever fence, I'm not sure it would be more expensive to pay double the price and have stuff that lasted forever.

Our Cedar and CCA posts are needing replacement after 20 years. I hate to redo it! Plus this stuff is not supposed to shrink, crack, or be eaten by bugs.

My two cents.

We're getting ready to complete a 16x20ft deck and we're using composite. Yep, it costs a BUNCH more, but it will last forever.

Ron

/ Plastic fence post maker... #5  
I have a feeling that "forever" may not be exactly the case. I've seen some plastic posts that were broken down by the UV rays and they didn't last forever. At those prices, I'd rather use the new treated wood.
It's an interesting thought, and if the UV ray problem is taken care of, it may be worth paying some more for. However, one wouldn't know until it's too late if they would last. John

/ Plastic fence post maker... #6  
I've replaced a couple of decks made from plastic boards because the owners didn't like the way the boards were "peeeling". Kinda like they were growing hair. Not sure this would apply to fence posts as this "hair" was in the high traffic areas on the deck.

/ Plastic fence post maker... #7  
Wow.. that is pricey.. I've been getting used #2 railroad ties.. 6x8 8.5ft.. by the truckload.. for $4.65 a piece.. once in the ground.. they don't move much.

/ Plastic fence post maker... #8  
there are several plastic post makers out there, using recycled stuff, and Virgine stuff, DON'T but the recycled stuff, as it does not hold up and is made form lots of diffeerent parts. my brother in law runs plants like this as GM
he ran one in oragon for 1 year under contract and one in batton rughs la. for 2 years. both of which were loss operations untill he was hired then made profitable by his management and the plant was quickly SOLD each time. he also managed several plastic plants in Akron oh where he lives with my sister now. he is back in school finishing masters deg. anyhow like others said some of it is better but I just don'ty like the looks, they are also making solid plastic park benches pick nick tables ect. stuff is like 500 lbs will last forever sporta self healing and made like how you described. looks bad as it trurns out a brownish color with grains of different color. but no one will steal it! /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Mark M

/ Plastic fence post maker... #9  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( <font color="blue"> Our Cedar and CCA posts are needing replacement after 20 years. I hate to redo it! Plus this stuff is not supposed to shrink, crack, or be eaten by bugs. </font> )</font>

20 years is not very long. Where I live in the past a lot of locust posts were used,some of them are 40 and 50 years old.
I personally have had good luck with the metal T-posts,some of them are 20 years old and still standing,some have broken off.

/ Plastic fence post maker... #10  
I wonder if that is a recycled plastic they are using to make them?If so they should not be that expensive for the feedstock,but the equipment/molds etc would be very expensive.