Silver Member

Default 3PH Caddy?

Another one of my prodjects is I would like to rent out compact implements such as post hole diggers, rollers, box blades, discs, brush hogs, flail mowers, etc.

Now obviously getting the equipment from point a to point b would be easily accomplished via trailer.

But, the catch is you gotta have the trailer low enough to get the stuff on and off of easily by the customer.

So I got to thinking to myself, why not make a 3PH caddy? It could be sold to dealers to let customers self deliver their impliments and also to rental places.

Anyhoos, here is a pic of what I was thinking of.

http://personalpages.tds.net/~jareds/untitled.bmp

It is pretty simple in design. To attach to impliments it uses a standart Cat. 1 quick hitch. There is a top link for easy adjustment of the angle of the hitch to allow easier hookups onto the top pins of the impliment.

Raising and lowering is accomplished via a pipe axle system with a peice of tubing on it for leverage. A cable is attached to the end, and when pulled via an electic winch it raises/lowers the caddy based on the wheel angles.

Once raised it has a safety mechanism preventing it from being raised/lowered by inserting a pin thru a hole in a plate welded to the axle mounts, and thru the tubing leading down to the wheels.

I think it would work, but I'm worried about stability. If neccessary the wheels could be moved to a point where they are slightly behind the hitch, thus shifting the center of gravity further forward.

Comments on my madness?

Super Star Member
    Tractor
    JD 4300, JD X485 JD 4x2 Gator, JD 425, JD455

Default Re: 3PH Caddy?

Basically, nice idea and I think you are right about the weight distribution.
    Also IMO, need some means to get some spring action to decrease the effects of bumps, etc.

Veteran Member
    Tractor
    Ford 960, 7700, TW20, 1720; IHC H, 300; Ollie S77

Default Re: 3PH Caddy?

Perhaps a little beefier, but these are pretty common things at farm dealerships. They mostly use a lever pump hyd pump to rais & lower. They also can pivot after being raised and the 3pt is somewhat offcenter, so the implement can be transported centered over the axle.

--->Paul