3PH Caddy?

/ 3PH Caddy? #1  

dixiedrifter

Silver Member
Another one of my prodjects is I would like to rent out compact implements such as post hole diggers, rollers, box blades, discs, brush hogs, flail mowers, etc.

Now obviously getting the equipment from point a to point b would be easily accomplished via trailer.

But, the catch is you gotta have the trailer low enough to get the stuff on and off of easily by the customer.

So I got to thinking to myself, why not make a 3PH caddy? It could be sold to dealers to let customers self deliver their impliments and also to rental places.

Anyhoos, here is a pic of what I was thinking of.

http://personalpages.tds.net/~jareds/untitled.bmp

It is pretty simple in design. To attach to impliments it uses a standart Cat. 1 quick hitch. There is a top link for easy adjustment of the angle of the hitch to allow easier hookups onto the top pins of the impliment.

Raising and lowering is accomplished via a pipe axle system with a peice of tubing on it for leverage. A cable is attached to the end, and when pulled via an electic winch it raises/lowers the caddy based on the wheel angles.

Once raised it has a safety mechanism preventing it from being raised/lowered by inserting a pin thru a hole in a plate welded to the axle mounts, and thru the tubing leading down to the wheels.

I think it would work, but I'm worried about stability. If neccessary the wheels could be moved to a point where they are slightly behind the hitch, thus shifting the center of gravity further forward.

Comments on my madness?

/ 3PH Caddy? #2  
Basically, nice idea and I think you are right about the weight distribution.
Also IMO, need some means to get some spring action to decrease the effects of bumps, etc.

/ 3PH Caddy? #3  
Perhaps a little beefier, but these are pretty common things at farm dealerships. They mostly use a lever pump hyd pump to rais & lower. They also can pivot after being raised and the 3pt is somewhat offcenter, so the implement can be transported centered over the axle.

--->Paul