Mig Welder Gas Pressure

/ Mig Welder Gas Pressure #1  

JimMorrissey

Veteran Member
Tractor
'05/'06 L39 TLB
I just converted my 110volt Mig Welder to gas. I can't believe how much better my welds are now. It's like night and day.

Can anybody tell me what pressure I should be sending to my gun? It seems like there is a lot of room to play with, but I want to make sure I'm not making a mistake. It appears to like more gas, but I don't want to waste it either. Any help would be fantastic.

Thanks,

Jim

/ Mig Welder Gas Pressure #2  
for most fo my welding I use around 20 PSI and when I'm welding outside I increase it according to the wind speed

/ Mig Welder Gas Pressure #3  
Jim,
It depends on what gas you are running. Also gas changes the shape and penetration of the weld. I can not help in regard to pressure only litres a min, this is generally between 14-18 litres per min or 25-32 pints?

/ Mig Welder Gas Pressure #4  
Well,you measure it in cubic ft an hour and you use a flow meter,so if you are not using a flow meter made for the gas you are using,[co2?],than you need one,,about 20 cfh,as long as you are not getting holes in your weld,[porosity],,,try it with out any,than try it with say 15cfh,than you will know what it does,,if its windy outside,like the man said,you may need to turn it up a little,but if its real windy,you need to shield the wind or stop. thingy

/ Mig Welder Gas Pressure #5  
For C25 mixture I usually run at around 20 cfh. Seems to work fine on my MM175.

/ Mig Welder Gas Pressure #6  
20 cfh seems to work for me with C25 gas

Kurt

/ Mig Welder Gas Pressure
Well, I went 20 (need to check units) on the Mig today and ran out of gas (little tank) in about 1 hour or less of welding. I figure I was able to cover less than 20 feet. After I ran out, I had to revert back to flux core wire. What a difference. Flux core is not the preferred way in my mind. There is no comparison in the quality of my beads.

I can't believe how much gas it used. Next time I think I'll weld indoors and turn the pressure down. A larger tank might help too. Unfortunately, I just bought a 20lb tank.....waste of $$.

Jim

/ Mig Welder Gas Pressure #8  
Do you have a regulator/flow meter on tank?,,,what I mean is,,,do you have what you are supposed to have connected to co2 tank,,not just a pressure regulator of some kind? I f you are going to be doing much welding than you should go ahead and get big bottle,,,,and 210/220 welder,,,that 110,,,ain't much,,it will weld,,but seems like you are getting into this,,, so go ahead,,,make the world of difference,,,,thingy

/ Mig Welder Gas Pressure
Yep, I have a regulator. It's just that the tank is so small. Believe it or not, the 110 Mig with gas welds 3/16 beautifully. I don't want to invest in a 220 rig right now....I have to pay for my T&T for my new L3830. It should be arriving this coming week. Maybe next year I'll replace the old 110 Mig for a new one.

Thanks,

Jim

/ Mig Welder Gas Pressure #10  
The recomendation for the regulator on my MM251 is 20-30cfh.

When switching from solid wire to flux core you need to change the polarity. You want Electrode negative for flux and electrode positive for solid (Mig) wire welding.

If you using EP for flux core wire then your probably not happy with the weld quality. I learned the hard way on my first little 110v welder /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif