chineese 5.5 & 6.5hp engines as project engines?

/ chineese 5.5 & 6.5hp engines as project engines? #1  

Soundguy

Old Timer
Tractor
RK 55HC,ym1700, NH7610S, Ford 8N, 2N, NAA, 660, 850 x2, 541, 950, 941D, 951, 2000, 3000, 4000, 4600, 5000, 740, IH 'C' 'H', CUB, John Deere 'B', allis 'G', case VAC
Lately I've seen homier and chineese tool stores like HF carry 5.5hp engines for 99$ and 6.5hp engines for 129$

I was wondering if anyone had bought one? The are cheap enough that if you needed a gas powered project.. they could be a 'power-plant' without digging real deep into your pockets, just to experiment.. etc.

Soundguy

/ chineese 5.5 & 6.5hp engines as project engines? #2  
do you mean the ones that look like a copy of the honda engines? i have seen those at a few sales and thought they looked pretty neat, i think personaly i would find a used engine before i would buy one of them tho, i gota wonder about parts availability for them? like if ya need carb parts or ignition module etc, but i suppose for the price ya could take a chance on one

/ chineese 5.5 & 6.5hp engines as project engines? #3  
SoundGuy:

Only if their Japanese make. I'd look around the engine and check for stampings and see if a Honda trademark can be seen. Honda makes an excellent if nearly perfect stand alone angine.

But credit to the Chinese, the farmers use a 2 wheel "does everything" type machine on 2 tractor type wheels that looks like a forward mounted tiller. They convert it to anything like our huge Gravelly's, they have a hitch attachment for hauling hay wagons even and drive to town on them. They have a long handle that goes to the back for steering.

Must be reliable, these peasants are poor as church mice.

M2C

Andy

/ chineese 5.5 & 6.5hp engines as project engines? #4  
Funny how these things crop up as we were just talking about this at work yesterday.Personally,I opted to spend the $40 to switch a 20 year old Briggs over to electronic ignition. Not a week seems to go by that I don't see a good Briggs out in the trash because it needs something that I can buy at TSC or even Walmart!I do really have concerns about the innards of these cheapo engines. Then again...I really only need a Kleenex for a very short time /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ chineese 5.5 & 6.5hp engines as project engines? #5  
Hey Soundguy:

Ya i saw them and been looking at them just for schnits & giggles. Look OK but don't know more than anyone else. yesterday I picked up my new ROCK SPREADER with a gear driven 5 hp briggs, cost a LOT of $ though.! it barely fits in back of my full size truck and weigs about 500+ lbs. I had to pay fully 5 bucks for it... /forums/images/graemlins/mad.gif should have gotten it for 3! hahaha probably 15 worth of steel let alone the heavy duty drive axel and the nearly NEW briggs. some auctions are buys and others, are nuts. 9got beat out on a used brush hog on e-bay this past week, guy who won drove 8 hrs each way to pick it up on top of paying 450. (NUTS I say to him that probably 300 in gas on top of the wear tear and time just to pick up the USED hog which was in moderatly OK shape!!!)

anyhow I may KEEP the rock hauler for now so I can move sand into & around my pole barn prior to concreteing it then pull the good parts and scrap the rest...

Mark M /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

/ chineese 5.5 & 6.5hp engines as project engines? #6  
HF now carries Robin engines. They're not that cheap, but the 1 I saw was well built and ran like an absolute dream. You could almost start it by looking at it hard.

I have no idea why bare engines are so expensive. You can buy a 3.5 HP lawn mower for $125, water pump with 3.5hp horiz. shaft engine for $300, and a generator with 9hp engine for $500. Yet bare engines cost a lot more than the complete tool! /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

/ chineese 5.5 & 6.5hp engines as project engines? #7  
I've noticed small diesel project engines showing up on Ebay lately like "NEW IN BOX 4.7 HP AIR COOLED D&J DEK DIESEL ENGINE" for $300. They say they are replicas of the Yanmar L-A series and take the same parts.

For a project, they are a little more money, but they're diesel! Of course, I don't know a darn thing about them, but it SOUNDS like a good idea. They weigh about 70lbs. They have bigger ones (10HP-135lbs).

Cliff

/ chineese 5.5 & 6.5hp engines as project engines? #8  
I think that northerntool.com sells Briggs 5hp for $209 on sale. I don't know how much shipping would be though. Probably a lot more engine for twice the price.

/ chineese 5.5 & 6.5hp engines as project engines? #9  
I wonder how one of those little diesels would do as a replacement for my 5.5 briggs that's probably 20+ years for my log splitter project....

Check surplus center they recently got some "Powertrain"???? engines in that are realtively cheap. I do wonder though; would 100.00 be worth 10 years of service?

Kevin

/ chineese 5.5 & 6.5hp engines as project engines? #10  
We just bought a Chinese aircompressor for our service truck at work it has the honda copy engine and so far have been pleased with it. When you dump the compression valve and hit the key it fires right off. I think ours is a 6.5 The importer here has a whole warehouse full of motors and parts so time will tell we use ours to air up truck tires and scraper tires.