Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Veteran Member

Default Re: 10KW Homemade generator

<font color="blue">1HZ per 10rpm right?
    </font>

Chris, you are correct [img]/forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img]. Thanks for catching my mistake. The 6:1 sensitivity for RPM of a 600 Vs a 3600 is correct.

600 RPM - 10RPM/Hz
    3600RPM- 60 RPM/Hz

Tractor
    Kubota B1700 HST Bi-Speed Turn

Just getting back to the subject of the original post of how the Harbor Freight generator head performs. I picked one of these up last week in the wake of Ivan since there weren't any kind of generators available anywhere on the East coast from Virginia to Florida! This, and some "Mountaineer Ingenuity", was all I could come up with for emergency power.

I put a 4" pulley on the 1" main shaft, and ran this off the front PTO pulley from my Steiner tractor. I just set the generator head on a pallet, staked in all four sides with some rebar, and ran a belt from the Steiner to the generator head. The Steiner uses a 18 hp Briggs motor that turns 3600 rpm, and it was easy to tune the top speed of the governor to produce the right voltage.

The setup ran great for three days, running one freezer, one refrigerator, an electric water heater, and produced clean enough voltage to run my computer and TV with no problems.

For $300, I was very pleased with its performance. I can see how you could easily couple the generator head directly to any horizontal shaft lawnmower engine with a Lovejoy coupler. If you could pick up an old Cub Cadet or Sears Suburban tractor with a good motor (usually horizontal shaft engines) for a reasonable price, you could have a very workable setup for less than $600. If you study all of the PTO generator set ups closely, you will see a gearbox that will spin the generator head up to the required RPM. Maybe these gearboxes are available for a reasonable price?

BTW, nothing is more appreciated by the neighbors than a hot shower after three days, when their "little" Home Depot type generators just won't cut it trying to run electric hot water heaters. Definitely something to consider when your sizing up your generator requirements!

Thanks
    Bill

Tractor
    Kioti DK55C

I've been searching high and low for the gearbox you refer to with no luck. If anyone knows where I can get one please let me know.

thanks,
    KiotiMutt

Gold Member

</font><font color="blue" class="small">( "A 12 pole, generator with the PTO running @600 rpm generator would have a frequency of 60 Hz."

One thought from here is that with the slower turnig generators, wouldn't an engine speed variation have a larger impact on the output frequency ?

)</font>
    No, engine speed will have the same effect weather it is a 12 pole generator turning at 600rpm or a 2 pole at 3600rpm. I will set up a senerio (set up so the math is easy). A tractor that the motor turns 3600rpm when the PTO is at 600rpm.

Senerio 1: 12 pole hooked to the PTO. In order to get a 1Hz change the PTO will change 10rpm. The motor will change 60rpm.

Senerio 2: 2 pole hooked to the PTO thru a 6:1 step up belt arangment. In order to get a 1Hz change the gen will change 60rpm. The PTO will change 10rpm and the motor will change 60rpm.

Gold Member
    Tractor
    Main: Case 235

Have_Blue touched on the problem: feedback control. When the load changes, you need something to automatically adjust the throttle (perhaps only slightly). True, most of your load is not highly sensitive to the frequency. But don't run the spreadsheets on the computer plugged into his set up. [img]/forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img]

Tractor
    JD2210

JazzDad, (And other posters)
    I'm not sure I agree with your replies.
    I see many other pto 540 rpm generators that use a 3600 rpm generator heads. I have listed a few below. Are you telling me these do not work??? (Or work reliably?)

Voltmaster 30KW Genny

Winco 7KW Genny

I see many other companies that have 3600 rpm genny heads. Just can't find a supplier for the geared adapter. (Increaser)

Bob

Tractor
    ym1700, NH7610S, Ford 8N, 2N, NAA, 660, 850 x2, 541, 950, 951, 2000, 3000, 4000, 4600, 5000, 740, IH 'C' 'H', CUB, John Deere 'B', allis 'G', case VAC

</font><font color="blue" class="small">( Have_Blue touched on the problem: feedback control. When the load changes, you need something to automatically adjust the throttle )</font>

Congratulations! [img]/forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] You've just described the tractors governor. When load rises, the governor adjusts the throttle in an attempt to keep the rpm constant. How fast and accurately the governor responds would be the issue. That said.. the governor on my old ford 8n from 1952 adequately powered my 12kw pto generator and the needle always stayed in the green zone between no load and 0-20 amps load.

Soundguy

Tractor
    ym1700, NH7610S, Ford 8N, 2N, NAA, 660, 850 x2, 541, 950, 951, 2000, 3000, 4000, 4600, 5000, 740, IH 'C' 'H', CUB, John Deere 'B', allis 'G', case VAC

Bob... it's my understanding that the pto gens northern tools sells are the 3600 rpm heads. The 12kw genny i bought from them, so far works flawlessly. With a vom and freq meter plugged in, I got less that 2 cycles difference when going from no load to 15-20 amps load from a power tool and heating element.. freq settled back at 60 and voltage went right to 121 after less than a second. I think most of that was the tractors governor responding. If I had it hooked up to my 90hp NH 7610s.. it probably wouldn't have changed at all...

Soundguy

Silver Member
    Tractor
    Kama 454 w/Kokyer 195 loader

The PTO driven generator sold by utterpower has a "variable pitch" pulley on the PTO drive side. This pulley is adjustable by loostening a set screw and "dialing" the pulley in or out to increase or decrease the diameter. Using this set-up it would be rather easy to tune the RPM's to meet your requirements.
    These pulleys are readily available from any HVAC wholesaler ... we use them on HVAC blower motors to adjust CFM output.

Tractor
    1952 Ferguson TEA20, 1951 Ferguson TEA20

Another consideration is whether you want to tie up your tractor during natural disasters. If you have a generator with its own motor, you do have one more engine to maintain, but you will be able to help people out with your tractor while your separate generator is powering the vital stuff in your house.
    I thought I could get a generator happening inexpensively by using the pto but then I stumbled into a deal on an old self-contained unit - thereby ensuring we won't have power failures around here anymore [img]/forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
    Whatever you end up with, make sure it has wheels!

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast