10KW Homemade generator

/ 10KW Homemade generator #1  

BobB

Tractor
JD2210
Saw this at a new Harbor Freight that opened in the area. Would love to make this work on my pto. Anyone have any idea's. Gear driven?? Belt driven?? etc...

10KW Generator

Bob
JD2210/62MMM/FEL

/ 10KW Homemade generator #2  
I'm not a generator expert, but if you need to bump your 540 PTO up to 3600, that would take some belts or gear reductions.........

Best wishes,
Ron

/ 10KW Homemade generator
I'm pretty sure any pto genetator has the input shaft geared to spin the generator faster than 540RPM.?

Bob
JD2210/62MMM/FEL

/ 10KW Homemade generator #4  
Looks like that might be a good project for one of those China diesels talked about in another thread.

/ 10KW Homemade generator #5  
I'm NO generator expert but have owned several working my way up to larger each time... Curently have an 18 Horse Briggs Vangaurd driven 9500Watt Unit. I'd LOVE to covert it to propane..Propane easier to store & being a cleaner fuel would add about 3-400% to engine life expectancy.. Problem is all the propane conversions I found to date for this engine require a vapor feed & that requires a HUGE tank to keep from freezing up the tank. Strange cause the 18 Horse Onan in my Cushman runs on liquid & will run a 30 pound tank dry without freezing but I just cannot find a liquid propane conversion for the Briggs.. Anyway.. Generator RPM's... Depending on the Quality/COST of the generator head it will require different mandatory RPM's. Cheapos are single field & MUST spin 3600RPM's to produce the 60 cycles everything in this country runs on. More expensive units have more fields to produce the 60 cycles per second & can run slower RPM's../Thats why those quiet running RV Generators are sooooo expensive for that average 4000 watt generator. The generator heads have more fields/require less driver rpm's.. If you can find a good working RV generator for sale at a good price..JUMP ON IT.. Were I to start down the road of a 3 point generator for my compact diesel tractor ( which I REALLY want to do as diesel is a little easier to store.. If DESPERATE one could even with a double in line filter tap that 275 gal. heating fuel oil tank in the basement for a LONG term run..) the first thing I'd want on a 3 point generator is a cycles gauge so one was not putting total trust in that tractor tach & one could be SURE they were feeding that oh so important 60 cycles per second to those expensive things in the house that we'd want to run off the generator.. To date I have not seen one with a cycles gauge built in. The package Northern tool sells has a gear box that bumps up the 540pto rpm's to spin the generator armature 3600rpm/60 revolutions/CYCLES a second.....

/ 10KW Homemade generator #6  
How about a big splined pulley that fit on the tractor pto.. and then size the pulley hubs so that your tractors 540 is the gennies 3600? I'm guessing a machine shop could turn both pullies out of billet aluminum fairly easilly.

Soundguy

/ 10KW Homemade generator #7  
I know nothing about a lot of things generators included but:

The frequency of any ac generator in hertz (Hz), which is the number of cycles per second, is related to the number of poles and the speed of rotation, as expressed by the equation:

F = NP/120

where P is the number of poles, N is the speed of rotation in revolutions per minute (rpm), and 120 is a constant to allow for the conversion of minutes to seconds and from poles to pairs of poles. For example, a 2-pole, 3600-rpm alternator has a frequency of 60 Hz; determined as follows:

2 x 3600 / 120 = 60 Hz

A 4-pole, 1800-rpm generator also has a frequency of 60 Hz.

A 12 pole, generator with the PTO running @600 rpm generator would have a frequency of 60 Hz.

I have no idea where you would find a 60Hz 12 pole generator /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

/ 10KW Homemade generator #8  
I've actually seen a 28 pole generator. Big sucker, about 6 feet in diameter and about a foot wide. It was direct drive attached to a three cylinder Fairbanks Morse Y engine which ran at near 260 RPM. All this was about 1920s vintage. The power plant was in an abandoned gold mine here in California's Sierra Nevada mountains. An immense engine, picture of a similar engine is attached. For perspective, notice the cat walk on the cylinder barrels. My wife would kill me, but, I sure would like to have that sucker.

Attachments

• 495052-FB-Y.jpg
    495052-FB-Y.jpg
    7.9 KB · Views: 1,989
   / 10KW Homemade generator #9  
I myself am no expert either, but have been told be atleast 2 people that have messed with generator heads that the 1800 rpm units are supposedly more reliable. But I've seen the price on those heads and it makes me consider the same thing. It would probably work just fine for emergency backup.

I wonder what they use in the Holbart and Miller portable welders/generators that are 10k?

thx
Jim

/ 10KW Homemade generator #10  
Just do a search for Lister generators. They are now being made in India, sold by inport/exports similar to Jinma's. They are huge heavy very efficient. Same design for 100 years, sounds like a steam engine. Saw a display a while back at a farm show, I loved the looks and sounds of them, just did not have the money....