Gonna build a pipe fence

/ Gonna build a pipe fence #1  

Steel_Butcher

Tractor
Kubota B6200
Greetings one and all from the new kid on the block. I'm fixin' to build a pipe fence ( 2 5/8 pipe, 5 rails, 8 foot centers ). What the going price per foot for a fence like this? I will do all the work myself. TIA
dan /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif <font color="blue"> </font>

/ Gonna build a pipe fence #2  
Dan …
Welcome to the fray, (only sometimes) /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Eight foot centers… How many miles of this are you making? And, What size Buffalo are you fencing in /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif? KennyV.

/ Gonna build a pipe fence #4  
Morning neighbor. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

2 3/8" fence schedule forty fence pipe new is going for around a $1.25 per foot. 2 7/8" was going for 1.60 a foot the last time I checked.

You can get the fence pipe in twenty four foot lengths. It's a nominal schedule forty, right at the lower edge of wall thickness. It's domestic and available at places like Eagle steel right there in Hutchins where they have the school district that's in the news so much.

To figure your cost for a five rail fence multiply the price of your pipe times six, five rails with an eight foot post on eight foot centers. Then figure three bags of Maximizer per hole. They make one cubic foot and if you do your holes in this gumbo like I do they're three and a half feet deep and one foot across.

Two and three eighths would be seven fifty a foot for the pipe plus three times four twenty nine a bag for the concrete divided by eight, about a dollar sixty plus a foot. Figure nine plus dollars a foot for materials.

If you're wanting to mechanically notch your pipe I highly recommend the Vogel. I've got literally thousands and thousands of cuts our of mine and it still works like a hose. They're not cheap. But they're a tool. Good tools aren't cheap.

One of the threads here I show using the ring. It's a custom made ring that enables you to weld up pipe fence without notching. It's available from Plano Power in Plano or Whipper Clipper in Bonham. It works great welding up two and three eights and two seven and eighths and any combination in between.

Welcome to my world. Click on the life is good at the bottom of the page.

/ Gonna build a pipe fence
...........thanks KV, it's great to find a bunch that is as helpful as you guys. Runnin' bout 500' of fence...........no buffalo, tryin' to keep the neighbor's cattle behind bars. I perfer my beef all ready packaged @ the local supermarket.

dan /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Thanks Dave, I'll be glad to post pix of completed project as soon as I figure out how to make them small enough for this site to accept them ( I'm a welder, not a puter guru )!!! I live down I-45 about 60 miles from Wroughton Harv, bet I could learn a thing or 2 from him.....many thanks for link, gonna check it out PDQ.

dan /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

Many thanks for the info Master Harv, over the last couple of days I've read a whole bunch of your treads and I'm convinced given enough time you can build the space shuttle. I do know where Hutchins and Eagle Steel is, we be down the road bout 25 miles. Not being a professional pipe fence builder I have no idea what a Vogel is but if it's expensive it wouldn't pay for me to buy one for a onetime fence job. Once again many thanks for your help on this project and even though I've been weldin' for 30 years I'd love to follow you around a few days and learn some of your tricks of the trade.

grasshopper aka dan /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

P.S.
I printed out the info you were kind enough to share.

/ Gonna build a pipe fence #8  
I travel and beat ANY PRICE!!!!!!!

I do any farm and ag work needed including equipment repair and diesel repair so if there is anyone in need of help call 817-503-5082 and again you will never beat my pricing

/ Gonna build a pipe fence #9  
I travel and beat ANY PRICE!!!!!!!

I do any farm and ag work needed including equipment repair and diesel repair so if there is anyone in need of help call 817-503-5082 and again you will never beat my pricing

MMMM Spam.....yummy

/ Gonna build a pipe fence #10  
Morning neighbor. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

One of the threads here I show using the ring. It's a custom made ring that enables you to weld up pipe fence without notching. It's available from Plano Power in Plano or Whipper Clipper in Bonham. It works great welding up two and three eights and two seven and eighths and any combination in between.

Welcome to my world. Click on the life is good at the bottom of the page.

Hello Harv,

I was wondering if you could post a link to the thread you refer to on using this weld ring?? I have enjoyed some success as a fence builder/repair guy (The Fence Guy) up here in Norman. I'm taking my first job fabricating a guard rail (Like you see around car lots) for a church to keep people from parking on their property. I have plenty of experience welding and I prepared to notch the pipe by hand (smaller job) but would like some alternative that is not too expensive.

Thanks in advance!
~J~