Full-size electric wood splitter

/ Full-size electric wood splitter #1  

EdK

Silver Member
Tractor
Kubota M6800, Case 580E Super
Does anyone own or have built an electric wood splitter? I see the little electric ones but I'm talking more along the lines of a full-size unit (e.g. 5hp motor, 16GPM 2-stage pump, 4-1/2"x30" ram, etc.)

Right now I have access to a gas powered unit that my brother and another guy co-own however my brother is moving away and the partner wants sole ownership. I'm thinking ahead to next year.

Like many of you I've got gas powered vac/blowers, chainsaws, lawn mowers, you-name-it. Not only do I not want another gas engine to maintain but I've also a decent diesel generator in need of periodic exercise. If one were to build an electric splitter then I could work along with my wife and kids without everyone needing hearing protection. We could either work near the garage (which we often do) and power the splitter from a welder outlet or work remotely with my portable diesel genset rattling and stinking 50-100' away and downwind /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

Any feedback on why this is not a good idea?

/ Full-size electric wood splitter #2  
Honestly, I never saw an electric splitter in the size you're referring (5hp, 16gpm, 30"...)

I wonder if the electric constraints make it not marketable since many don't have the electric handy to power such a splitter. Looking at the ele. splitters, they require about 20 amps for 4 ton. The size you're looking at is about 5 times that. Someone else would need to answer about the electric requirements for such a splitter but at 5 times that electric to get to 20 ton, that's 100 amps. Around a 8hp ele. motor?

I just purchased a new gas powered splitter. Honestly, I run the thing at just over idle and it's plenty fast and still goes through anything. I always wore ear protection on my previous splitter but the new engines are a lot quieter and I don't find the need to wear the protection for the new one.

/ Full-size electric wood splitter
The DR-brand 4-ton electric splitter advertises only requiring a 120VAC 15 amp circuit.

/ Full-size electric wood splitter #4  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( Does anyone own or have built an electric wood splitter? I see the little electric ones but I'm talking more along the lines of a full-size unit (e.g. 5hp motor, 16GPM 2-stage pump, 4-1/2"x30" ram, etc.))</font>

EdK,
Did I misinterpret your original post? When you included the 5hp, 16gpm... were you talking about a gas engine driven equivalent? Those specs would would be a 20-25 ton unit. So I thought you were looking for a 20 ton electric version.

The 4 ton I saw listed it as 20 amp. Either way, (15 or 20 amp), if it had to be multiplied to get to a 20 ton unit, that's a lot of amps.

Those would be the rough specs for the electric version. Admittedly those components are matched with seat of-the-pants design engineering and should require some more thorough scrutiny before cutting metal but I thought they would be in the ballpark enough for the purpose of this post/conversation.

16GPM 2-stage pumps are typically outfitted with 8-10 hp gas motors and I was thinking a 5hp 240VAC electric motor to be roughly equivalent. We'd be talking around 20A @ 240VAC - a little more to start.

Also I'm with you on the commercial viability probably as the explanation for why we just don't see then on the market.

On a side note my neighbor built his own firewood processor with cutoff saw, splitter and conveyors all electric!

/ Full-size electric wood splitter #6  
yea you have to remember that electric hp is different than gas engine hp, i have seen charts comparing it but i dont know where i would find them now

/ Full-size electric wood splitter #7  
Will your neighbor share his experiences and motor sizes with you?

Are you thinking of an electric motor driving a hyd. pump and just replacing the gas engine? My splitter has an 8 HP B&S which would, I think, take a larger electric motor to replace it(2hp elect. = 1 hp gas?) or is that the other way around?

I would also like a small electric splitter to sit in my garage to make fireplace kindling during the winter (re-man the larger size dry pieces that go in the wood boiler).

/ Full-size electric wood splitter #8  
I'm definitely the wrong person to discuss what size ele. motor would be needed so I can't even speculate.

I keep reading back to your original post and trying to get a concise picture as to why to go electric. (If you read through the other threads on log splitters, you'll see I prefer to use the small gas versions over the alternatives.)

I'm still wonder a few things. (going to play devil's advocate for a minute if you don't mind)

How much wood do you split?

Is a part of doing this just for making it? A fall/winter project?

You said that you can work next to the garage. For the times you can't or don't want to, how portable would all this be? How difficult would it be getting the generator and splitter places with the 6800.

You didn't say how big your generator is, but I assume it'll drive it fine since you mentioned it's diesel. Just thinking about fueling a bigger generator vs. a little 5hp gas engine.

What would it cost to make or buy this?

/ Full-size electric wood splitter #9  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( Are you thinking of an electric motor driving a hyd. pump and just replacing the gas engine? My splitter has an 8 HP B&S which would, I think, take a larger electric motor to replace it(2hp elect. = 1 hp gas?) or is that the other way around? )</font>

im not sure the exact proportions, but its the other way around, more gas hp to run the same electric hp

</font><font color="blue" class="small">( I'm definitely the wrong person to discuss what size ele. motor would be needed so I can't even speculate.)</font>
That's OK. I'm please to have posted and have engaged a few TBNers in a healthy dialogue.

</font><font color="blue" class="small">( I keep reading back to your original post and trying to get a concise picture as to why to go electric. (If you read through the other threads on log splitters, you'll see I prefer to use the small gas versions over the alternatives.))</font>
Generally I understand the "alternatives" to be PTO powered and I'm with you on that one. Are there others?
As to the why:
- small engine maintenance
- noise
- need to periodically exercise the genset

</font><font color="blue" class="small">( I'm still wonder a few things. (going to play devil's advocate for a minute if you don't mind)

How much wood do you split?)</font> 10 cord/year

</font><font color="blue" class="small">( Is a part of doing this just for making it? A fall/winter project?)</font> No, already got plenty of those projects!

</font><font color="blue" class="small">( You said that you can work next to the garage. For the times you can't or don't want to, how portable would all this be? How difficult would it be getting the generator and splitter places with the 6800.)</font>
Generally I bring the wood to the splitter. I don't split out in the middle of the woods. I either skid out tree or log length to one of 2-3 "landing zones", make the mess there, and can stack the brush to burn later. With the M6800 I also can bring 4' lengths to the house at the rate of about 1/2 cord per trip using the forks

</font><font color="blue" class="small">( You didn't say how big your generator is, but I assume it'll drive it fine since you mentioned it's diesel. Just thinking about fueling a bigger generator vs. a little 5hp gas engine.)</font>
The diesel 12 Kw and is pretty fuel efficient - remember: the thought is that it needs to run, ideally with a load, at least several times each year.

</font><font color="blue" class="small">( What would it cost to make or buy this? )</font>
The only difference should be the gas vs. electric motor cost - cheaper for electric. I probably should be looking for a used splitter with a toasted motor and just do a conversion!

The ratio for gas:electric motor driving a hydraulic pump is approx 2:1