Converting Chipper/Shredder to a leaf vac

/ Converting Chipper/Shredder to a leaf vac #1  

gmason

Platinum Member
Tractor
NH TC35D4
Has anyone tried to convert their ole chipper shredder to a leaf vac.
The main vac unit looks the same as the units at Norther Tool.

B0002IKVYK.01._SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

to this

L0026-250.jpg

I've checked parts at Agri-Fab and can get the new flanges for about $200 and that with about 8' of hose.

thanks
gary

/ Converting Chipper/Shredder to a leaf vac #2  
You need to look and make sure the chipper blade will work as a fan. This is needed to generate a vacuum to pull the leaves into the machine. I just converted my Cub Cadet from a 5" intake hose to a 8" by 10' intake hose, using parts from Oneida Air Systems that totalled ~ $100. Using 5" hose for a long as a run as you show in your post will be an exercise in futility - it plugs up all the time and is very frustrating. I had run a 20' piece of 5" flex pipe, and it drove me so crazy I threw it out and upgraded 2 weeks ago. Now my machine really sucks!.

Attachments

• 529656-CubCadet Modification.jpg
    529656-CubCadet Modification.jpg
    50.7 KB · Views: 6,127
   / Converting Chipper/Shredder to a leaf vac #3  
As DocHeb said,
<font color="blue"> You need to look and make sure the chipper blade will work as a fan. </font>

My experience has been the tow-behind leaf vacuums use impeller blades verses a shredder type setup. I believe the reason for this is, the tow-behind units are primarily used in conjunction with a mower deck. The mower decks throw a large volume of leaves up the chute. It's takes a lot of vacuum to move the leaves through. A shredder type could have trouble moving the leaves fast enough through the shredder mechanism in order for the chute not to plug.

I have a 5 HP tow behind Trac-Vac. It doesn't shred the leaves, however, it beats 'em up pretty good and takes the volume out of them.

The tow-behind you show in your picture, marketed by Northern tool, comes from Country Home Products

Don

/ Converting Chipper/Shredder to a leaf vac
Thanks Doc, nice picture. The CS unit does have some chopping blades, but it still moves a lot of air too. The leaf debris will blow 15'-20' without the bag attached.
The problem with the chute method they have in my pic, is that you can rake the leaves up to the chute, but they get stuck right at the intake to the blades and you have to use a stick to get them flowing again. Just a bad airflow design I think.

I'm going with just the 10' of 6" hose. Is the hose from Oneida a good quality silver plastic or metal?

thanks
gary

/ Converting Chipper/Shredder to a leaf vac #5  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( I'm going with just the 10' of 6" hose. Is the hose from Oneida a good quality silver plastic or metal? )</font>

There is a ~14 guage steel wire coiled in the hose, and the hose is clear, heavy duty vinyl. I believe it will hold up quite well to leaf/stick/soil abrasion.

/ Converting Chipper/Shredder to a leaf vac #6  
Hey, how's this project coming? Does it work as you expected?

I have too many leaves to cleanup. I would love to find a PTO-powered 3-pt hitch mount leaf vacuum/shredder, or something that I could mount onto the FEL and just drive along sucking up and shredding leaves, then go dump it when full. I've looked pretty extensively for something like this...no dice yet, so I might be looking to do something like you're doing and modify something existing to work...so post some pics if you've got it working!

Dave

/ Converting Chipper/Shredder to a leaf vac #7  
I'd like to know too! I have the same machine in a 10hp configuration. I've thought about doing the exact same thing. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ Converting Chipper/Shredder to a leaf vac #8  
I have a Woods 5000 PTO chipper/shredder with blower. Bearcat 70554 is essentially the same and has a leaf suction kit available. I am looking at adapting to my Woods 5000. Should be doable. Would need a trailer to blow into.

Vernon

/ Converting Chipper/Shredder to a leaf vac #9  
I know this is really old thread, but i have an idea I have been kicking around to convert a standard 5hp chipper shredder into a leaf/grass blower.

Change the hammers/flails inside to a paddle.
It can still hinge, like the hammers, but the paddle would help the unit develop more suction. Imagine a river boat paddle wheel, but spinning at 3,000 rpm.

Probably wouldn't take more than a 2" wide piece of 1/8" mild steel to make the "air paddles".