Can't find something I saw last week

/ Can't find something I saw last week #1  

RacingD98

Tractor
Kubota B7100HSD
Can\'t find something I saw last week

/forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif Please help me find something I saw last week. I was looking at older postings and came across a post with pictures of a homemade 3 point hitch attachment that one of the members had made for burying electrical cable or flexible pipe. I have a project coming up soon and sure could use something like that. I have tried all kinds of searches but have had no luck at all locating it again. The attachment had a single blade used for cutting the ground open. Just behind the blade there was a 90 degree piece of pipe or conduit used to feed the cable or flexible pipe into the ground.

Thanks for help in advance.

/ Can't find something I saw last week #2  
Re: Can\'t find something I saw last week

There are a couple different versions of this that I have seen.

Here is the one I made.

Sub Soiler with plastic pipe to bury cables

I recall reading last year of a guy who did a similar thing, used a larger diameter pipe than I used with a more gradual corner and he was able to bury plastic irrigation line for his sprinkler system.

/ Can't find something I saw last week

Thanks Bob for the quick response.

This is not the picture I saw, but it certainly would do the job. I would still like to see the other one or any others out. The planned project is not that big, so I'm looking for cheap, easy, and quick to build. Thanks again.

/ Can't find something I saw last week #4  

Like I said, I've seen some others. You will have to do a search, probably in the projects section?

I built mine based on an idea I got on TBN from someone else. His was somewhat more elaborate but he had a much larger project. I think he used something like a 2.5" or 3" diameter PVC pipe and he had a much larger elbow. He used his to run wire and to run plastic pipe. The concept was pretty much the same as mine as it was also attached to the back of the blade.

SOMEONE ELSE did something completely different that was close to brilliant, and I don't recall who that was either. He took a subsoiler blade like I have, drilled one hole in the bottom rear corner and hooked up a cable or a chain. There was a shackle or something on the end of that and he then attached it (I think with duct tape?) to the end of a PVC pipe, he said he just sank the blade and it pulled the pipe right under ground as he drove. He also did wire the same way. Using this method you need to have all your cable or pipe behind the tractor on some sort of spool. Using the method I used, the cable spool (I used my arm as the spool) stays on the tractor and feeds out as the tractor drives forward.

/ Can't find something I saw last week

YES, Don that's it, thanks. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Do you know what the post subject was?

Dennis

/ Can't find something I saw last week #7  

I have "pulled" poly sprinkler pipe and also electrical cable by just attaching it to the bottom of the subsoiler (using bailing wire and duck-tape). Getting a good, strong attachment is key. I made a figure-eight loop of several turns of bailing wire with one loop wrapped around the tip of subsoiler between the attaching bolts and then twisted tight to stay in place. I fed the pipe or cable through the trailing loop, folded it back on itself and then duck-taped the folded loop so it could not un-fold. When done pulling, I cut-off and discarded this kinked/folded end of the poly pipe.

The thinner wire that I used for the invisible fence was not strong enough to "pull" into the ground, so I fed it through a PVC elbow similar to those shown in some of the other posts. I used duck-tape to hold the elbow to the back of the sub-soiler and that worked fine for the few hundred feet I had to bury.

- Rick

/ Can't find something I saw last week #9  

When I ran an irrigation crew,we rented a mini-sneaker.The device we had used a wire "Chinese finger lock" thingie to attach the pipe to the tool.These can be found at a good electrical supplier.Usually a wire is attached to a box on a drop cord with these.If you can get one big enough,it would work.The pipe is just taped shut to keep dirt out then stuck into the wire mesh.Pulling the wire toward the tool lets the pipe slip right off.