Trailer axle/leaf spring configuration?

/ Trailer axle/leaf spring configuration? #1  

Scozz

Silver Member
Tractor
Kama 454 w/Kokyer 195 loader
I have an 18' trailer with 2 3500# axles. The axles are clamped above the leaf springs. I'd like to raise the height of
the trailer a few inches ... it sits too close to the ground. Would it do harm to reverse the se5t-up and clamp the leaf spring above the axle? /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

/ Trailer axle/leaf spring configuration? #2  
Well - It worked on my 16' foot trailer!

/ Trailer axle/leaf spring configuration?
Thanks doxhound ... I was worried about stressing the leafs ...you've had no problem fully loaded?

/ Trailer axle/leaf spring configuration? #4  
Placing the axle below the springs is standard-operating-procedure to lift trailers to meet hitches on 4-wheel drive pick-ups.

Do it.

/ Trailer axle/leaf spring configuration? #5  
I've never thought of a spring over conversion for a trailer, it's done all the time for 4x4s. I can't think of a single reason why it would cause a problem.

Boxman

/ Trailer axle/leaf spring configuration? #6  
As mentioned very common on travel trailers. The term is called "Flipping" The only down point is it raises your center of gravity. Also it will increase the height between 3 to 5 inches. Of course this is not a factor on an equipment trailer.

/ Trailer axle/leaf spring configuration? #7  
Nice web page

Doxie lover here too

/ Trailer axle/leaf spring configuration? #8  
It will raise your trailer, BUT!!!! it will also make the trailer look spradle legged from the rear. All axles are built with a certain amount of arch, or crown to them so that they settle straight with max load. When most people talk about flipping axles what they really mean is they had a new set of spring perchs welded on top of their axle so that the arch, or crown remains to the top. Also you can't get to the brake adjusters very well if the axle is "upside down

/ Trailer axle/leaf spring configuration? #9  
Like Nat says, don't just flip the axle, weld a second set of spring perches on the TOP.The inherent camber that results from that slight bend in the axle can cause tires to wear funny.(mine blew both tires on the same 2000 mile trip, approx 200 miles between left and right) Also don't inadvertently flip the axles end for end when they are out as electric brakes are designed to operate in a certain direction at high speed. If they are installed backwards they can bend the linkage that the electro-magnet sits on when it tries to pull itself against the spinning hub. (electric brakes don't work to hold a parked vehicle, they rely on the spinning hub to operate) Pat

/ Trailer axle/leaf spring configuration?
Pat are you saying rather than placing axle below spring I should "space" the 3 points (tandem axle ... 6 for both sides) where the springs bolt to the trailer? Kind of like the shackles I used to used when our springs wore out on my junkers when I was a teenager! Obvoiusly shackle would have to be replace with welded channel but same principle ... Scozz