Modular: Hitch, pallet fork, sub soiler, plow, etc

/ Modular: Hitch, pallet fork, sub soiler, plow, etc #1  

Bob_Skurka

I wanted a set of pallet forks to attach the the 3 point hitch but was not happy with the pallet lifters that are for sale from the various implement companies. Most 3pt pallet lifters do not allow for moveable and replacable forks. Most are simple fixed units. I wanted real pallet forks, I wanted lateral movement. And I had no clue how to get what I wanted.

This thread is a series of pictures that start with a basic Howse frame and show how it can be converted, by simply inserting Top Link Pins into holes, to become a pallet lifter. If you only want to see the pallet lifter, skip down a few posts and start looking at the pictures.

Then I had an idea to use the basic frame from a Howse Sub-Soiler, Middle Buster, Trailer Hitch combo unit that I got for about $150 a year or two ago.

My main purpose of buying the Howse unit was to modify the Sub-Soiler and use it to bury cable. But I have found that I have modified more the Sub-Soiler. The pallet fork project is just the latest modification.

Initially I replaced the 2 standard bolts that are used to hold the Sub Soiler, the Middle Buster & the trailer hitch in place. I simple took out the bolts and substituted them with Top Link Pins.

I also drilled 2 holes in the trailing edge of the Sub-Soiler, took 2 hose clamps, and clamped a plastic pipe to the rear edge so that I could bury cable. It worked perfectly.

See the attached picture of the Howse unit.

Attachments

• 535632-1 compelete howse copy.jpg
    535632-1 compelete howse copy.jpg
    55.7 KB · Views: 1,312
   / Modular: Hitch, pallet fork, sub soiler, plow, etc
I began to think that the frame, if turned backwards, so that the flat side of the frame faced away from the tractor, could easily be used to accept a sub-frame assembly. It required only 1 modification to the original Howse frame. In the upper part of the frame are 2 holes. One hole is for the top link, the other hose is just there, and it was originally smaller in diameter. I have no idea what the purpose of that hole is for. To accept my planned pallet fork sub frame, I simply needed to drill out the lower hole so that it is large enough to accept a standard top link pin.

Attachments

• 535634-1 side A frame.jpg
    535634-1 side A frame.jpg
    37 KB · Views: 982
Next, I designed a simple sub frame to mount onto the Howse frame. While a bit hard to see in the photo, the center vertical bar of the sub frame unit has a connection point that lines up with the newly drilled out hole in the Howse frame. At the lower right and left areas are 2 piece of angle iron that rest on the sloped surface of the Howse frame to steady the pallet forks and support some weight.

Attachments

• 535636-1 sub frame.jpg
    535636-1 sub frame.jpg
    62.4 KB · Views: 852
Front view of pallet forks attached to the sub frame

Attachments

• 535637-1 fork on sub.jpg
    535637-1 fork on sub.jpg
    65.2 KB · Views: 868
Side view of forks on the sub frame, this will give you a better view of the top attachment point where the sub frame attaches to the Howse frame with a top link pin.

Attachments

• 535638-1 side fork on sub frame.jpg
    535638-1 side fork on sub frame.jpg
    59.3 KB · Views: 722
Here is a front view of the pallet forks on the sub frame, and the sub frame mounted on the Howse frame.

Attachments

• 535640-1 front fork on frame.jpg
    535640-1 front fork on frame.jpg
    57 KB · Views: 720
Here is a rear view of the pallet forks mounted to the sub frame and the sub frame mounted to the Howse frame.

I have the top link pin sticking only part way into the frame simply to show where/how it connects the sub frame to the Howse frame.

I have other attachments planned and in either the design or build phases. Also I have to give credit to 2 friends of mine who actually did the work on this. The welding and cutting are a bit beyond my tools and abilities so I did the design work but they executed the work far better than I could have done myself.

Attachments

• 535642-1 rear forks on frame.jpg
    535642-1 rear forks on frame.jpg
    61.1 KB · Views: 719
   / Modular: Hitch, pallet fork, sub soiler, plow, etc #8  
Bob,

Clever use of existing Howse frame. I too like rear pallet forks. While I don't often move pallets, I use them a lot to carry a utility platform box--turns my tractor into a small off-road pickup.

Where did you come up with the forks? I think a lot of folks will want to copy your idea.

JackIL

Jack,

I think in the 10 years I've lived here, I've probably wanted to move actual pallets 2 or 3 times, but I have needed to move material dozens of times a year. So I felt I could buy or build a carry all, or I could use pallet forks. I figured pallet forks were more versatile because they could easily be used as a carry all frame or for pallets. A simple pallet, with side rails, will make a high capacity carry all.

As for where the forks came from, I traded some pine bark mulch that I had left over for the pallet forks that were sitting in storage!

My inspiriation for getting the unit finished is that I have 4 concrete planters, on pallets, that have to be unloaded from a trailer.

/ Modular: Hitch, pallet fork, sub soiler, plow, etc #10  
Very clever Bob. I like a rear mount fork set up myself. And yes you are right, lateral movement of the forks are needed from time to time.