start of my homemade sawmill

/ start of my homemade sawmill #1  

markct

Platinum Member
Tractor
gradall g3r excavator, kawasaki mule 2500,ford 8000,and a 1936 caterpillar road grader
i started machining the wheels for making a bandsaw mill, i used alloy rims and cut them down with a skilsaw, they are 16 inch rims
pic 1

then i took and mounted them in my poor mans gap bed lathe, which is my cincinati horizontal mill
pic 2
pic 3

Edited inline pics to links

/ start of my homemade sawmill
and here is the finished product
pic 1

the other one needed a bit more machining since on the idler end i will be using a hub from the rear of a front wheel drive car and it will need to be mounted from the opposite side that the hub would have been when the wheel was on a car, so thus i had to take and bore out the center a bit and face the area flat so the hub would sit and run true
pic 2

Edited in-line pics to links

/ start of my homemade sawmill #3  
Nice work.

Egon /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ start of my homemade sawmill #4  
Looks great so far. Can't wait to see more as you progress...

Trouble is, you've caused those thoughts to start racing around in my head again: If I only had, I wish I had...then I could... /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif

Look forward to more pictures!

</font><font color="blue" class="small">( If I only had, I wish I had...then I could... )</font>

yea thats dangerous aint it! its what makes me such a tool nut i think, if i see a tool that is cheap that would allow me to do something i will buy it weather or not i actualy need to do whatever it is that tool does /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif and of course any tool thats just plain unusual i have to have, like a week or two ago i saw a gas powered sawzall at a pawn shop, and sure enough 70 bucks later it was headed home with me

/ start of my homemade sawmill #6  
Looks nice, the only home made on I have seen used the donut spare tires and the blade ran on the tire surface.
Wish I had a Bridgeport and lathe.....
Ben

</font><font color="blue" class="small">( Wish I had a Bridgeport and lathe )</font>

its funny how some people have asked me if having a lathe and mill have saved me enough money to make it worth it, but i dont look at it so much as saving money, i look at it more as it allows me to do projects that wouldnt be feasible if i had to have someone do the machining for me. and in reality since our mill was only 150 bucks and my lathe was 500 i imagine they have made parts that have saved me that much money as well as made cash on the side helpin others with machine projects

/ start of my homemade sawmill #8  
Mark

Beautiful work. Clever use for a set of rims. Did you crown the surface or do the "tires" take care of that?

RonL

no i didnt crown it, i basicly copied the style of the wheels on my horizontal bandsaw, it has metal wheels and no tires or crown, just a shoulder on the back like mine have. they are made the right width so that the solid part of the blade will run on the metal and the teeth will be over the front not touching the metal wheel. atleast thats the plan but im open to ideas, im just copying what i saw on another factory made sawmill, a much larger one that used blades about 3 inches wide, and also copying the wheels on my horizontal bandsaw, but alot bigger

/ start of my homemade sawmill #10  
I have a ( commercially built from stock materials) bandsaw mill that uses two large dia pulleys. the blade actually runs on a belt that is basically the diameter of the pulley and "stretched" to fit. Works perfectly-Never gave it a thought till i looked at this thread!
Ger