Wood splitter cycle time

/ Wood splitter cycle time #1  

drzmatt

Tractor
Kubota 7610
What determines the cycle time on a wood splitter? I've seen cycle times from 6 to 14 seconds. How can I increase the cycle time on my wood splitter?

/ Wood splitter cycle time #2  
More GPM's will do the trick. You also need a big enough motor to run the higher output pump.

/ Wood splitter cycle time #3  
To really get the cycle time down, you can use a special dual-displacement pump. At lower pressures, a higher volume portion of the pump helps extend and retract the cylinder quickly when it is not engaging the log. When the pressure climbs past a moderate-pressure relief set on the high volume portion of the pump, the low-volume / high-pressure stage of the pump continues to exert the high forces necessary to split the log without exceeding the torque available from the drive motor.

- Rick

/ Wood splitter cycle time #4  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( To really get the cycle time down, you can use a special dual-displacement pump. )</font>

I didn't know they made those. Makes a lot of sense. You learn something new every day on TBN.

Cliff

/ Wood splitter cycle time #5  
Cliff,

The one I'm using to build my splitter outputs 13 gpm @ 650 psi on the high volume/low pressure side and 3 gpm @ 2500 psi on the low volume/high pressure side. I've heard it said that often some logs will split without the pump even dropping into the high pressure mode.

With the cylinder I'm using, it will still generate over 4 tons of force even while operating only at high volume/low pressure.

/ Wood splitter cycle time #6  
I've got a 30 ton unit and it runs in the first(fast) stage 90% of the time. The cycle time is 15 seconds but most of the time your not running the full stroke down or back. So the actual cycle time is much less.

/ Wood splitter cycle time #7  
When I built my splitter I bought a Barnes 16gpm 2 stage pump. It requires 8hp minimum but I used an 11.5hp Briggs that I had been given. If you use a horizontal shaft motor you can buy an adapter that bolts it directly to the engine block and drives thru Lovejoy connectors. I'm using a 5" by 24" cylinder on mine and as the others have said it rarely ever uses the low side of the pump. Make sure you use an extremely stout beam as I've bent my 6"X3/8" I-beam on a tough piece of wood. If you get into a situation where the pump shifts into low, be careful! It may look like everything is going slow,but let me tell you when the chunk of wood pops it'll scare the crap out of you!! I've even had one come off the side of splitter under pressure and take my legs right out from under me. Thought I broke both 'till the feeling came back!