FEL Mounted Snow Plow Forces

/ FEL Mounted Snow Plow Forces #1  

JASTN70D

Gold Member
Tractor
T4020 Deluxe
SO I am considering a front mounted snow plow. Trying to determine if I should mount to the front axle or the FEL . I really prefer to use the FEL seeing that I have the Quick Attach but I am concerned about the radial forces on the FEL. My tractor comes in over 7000Lb rigged up and when it hits something immovable (ice pack on the side of old plow line for example) it tends not to stop but to break things.

I Will probably use an 8 foot blade to cover my tracks. I now use the FEL for snow removal on the 1200 Ft of drive and it does hit the side ice buildup any way in fact because I use the FEL I tend to be in to the side pack even more. But there are forces on the bucket to somewhat offset any great amount of side force simply because the bucket is hitting ice on both sides to some degree and or is full of snow and pushing hard on the ground. It seems a blade could put a greater amount of side force on the FEL arms and pins just because of the angeling to the side. So any body with experience have any input to help make the decision? Thanks

/ FEL Mounted Snow Plow Forces #2  
John
I have a FEL mounted blade on my tractor. Tractor is smaller than yours. But the blade has trip springs to make blade tip forward. Because of this function there is less chance of damage.
My previous tractor had a Meyers 7 foot blade mounted to tractor. It was not mounted to the axle. I hope this is what you meant. It also had the trip on blade. Here is a picture of grassgod's tractor with a FEL mounted blade.
579569-high%20reach.jpg

Looks like it sticks a long way out from QA.
Here is a link to pictures of my blade. Click Here
Here are some pictures of a front mounted blade.
Click Here
Hope you don't mind the <font color="orange"> Orange </font> tractors. /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ FEL Mounted Snow Plow Forces #3  
Hey, I recognize that blade and tractor! /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

/ FEL Mounted Snow Plow Forces
Yea that is what I mean thanks for the Pics. I do know about the spring load and I agree it could help in allot of situations. But I could imagine just clipping something down low and on the very outside edge of the blade that could put a tremendous amount for side force on the FEL. Gassgod's blade does really stick out there. How is it working out it it starting to loosen up the pins or cause any damage?

/ FEL Mounted Snow Plow Forces #5  
Snow plows normally have cross over relief valve so the blade can angle if it hits something solid on one side. This is adjustable so you can limit the force.

/ FEL Mounted Snow Plow Forces #6  
I can not say how grassgod's pins are. But mine are still tight after 5 years. Lots of grease. /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif
Trip is set low about 6" above the bottom edge. About same location as a pickup truck blade.

/ FEL Mounted Snow Plow Forces #7  
Well, I just built one and have used it 3 times so far. You can see the build post with pictures in this POST , and some action shots in this POST .

I did alot of research into this project, including looking very closely at the one John Deere makes for thier larger tractors in person and taking alot of pictures. Also looked online at the ones sold by Curtis Plows . As well as other homemade units on TBN.

I think 2 things are most important in the design:
1. A well functioning trip mechanism, and
2. A very strong frame the attaches to the loader arms to distribute the load as evenly as posible to avoid "racking" the loader frame.

This is the way JD and Curtis do it. I have not seen any ill effects from using mine, nor have read about any in all the research I did prior to building mine.

Hope this helps some, please let me know if I can answer any other questions.
Kenny

Thanks Guys.!

slowzuki <font color="blue"> "Snow plows normally have cross over relief valve so the blade can angle if it hits something solid on one side. This is adjustable so you can limit the force" </font>
Now that is a big help. Did not know this. Thanks.!

ronjhall: Thanks for the input very helpful

kennyd: Yes I followed your build very closely And in fact it got me on this bug to do my own. Thanks?.... /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Well I have not heard any bad news so it looks like I will go with the FEL mount. It sure will make it a lot easier to mount and build. Now if I can just find an old blade to start with?.....

/ FEL Mounted Snow Plow Forces #9  
What do you guys think about this one that just slips onto the bucket. It has a neat "mechanical angle" feature. I'd be worried about the lack of something to absorb a big shock, but you don't have that when you're plowing with the bucket either??
plow8%20sm.jpg

plow5%20sm.jpg

These are from Innovative Loader Accessories where's there's more and bigger pictures.

thanks, Andrew

Andrew

With the bucket it tends to keep the force straight out in front or at least it looks that way. With this it really does stick out there were I'd be concerned about the side forces . You've got to give them credit though for a unique approach to the issue.